TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Besco folding trailer behind my bug! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
mrvwaccessory Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:51 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have information about the Besco fold able trailer?

(alt+p)

I am selling the trailer and want a better information for description.

Thanks!

billmetric Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:27 pm

I have one of these also, mines missing the detatchable hitch arm thing that has the wiring plug and wiring inside it, I never had a cover for it either, what is under your blue cover, I'd like to see some more photos of it since its the only other I've ever seen, mine has an ID tag on it that says it was built in the mid 1980s

hazetguy Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:39 am

apparently he wants $1500 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=588717

mrvwaccessory Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 pm

SOLD!

tony7914 Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Does anyone know where I can get replacement tires for one of these Besco trailers? 3.50-8, 4 plys are hard to find!

mrvwaccessory Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm

Try www.coker.com. This is where I got the tires for my former Besco trailer.

coad Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:56 pm

tony7914 wrote: Does anyone know where I can get replacement tires for one of these Besco trailers? 3.50-8, 4 plys are hard to find!

Try Premier Tire in Denver..

http://www.premiertire.com/trailer.htm

They show that they stock the VREDESTEIN V47 HWY TRAILER TT in 3.50X8 which is a 4 ply and a really nice tire with a good flat profile.

I bought them in the 4.80X8 size and I just love them. Vredestein isn't well known outside Europe (except for high end bike tires), but they are a really well respected Dutch tire company. I think they have a classic look, like the old Continentals or Michelins.

tony7914 Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:00 pm

Thank you! I'll contact them both and let you know!

tony7914 Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm

No luck with Coker, sent an e-mail to Premier asking for prices.
They list it as 350X8 is that the same as 3.50-8?

@coad
Quote: I bought them in the 4.80X8 size and I just love them.

Will the 4.80X8 fit or would I have to modify the trailer?

coad Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:01 pm

tony7914 wrote: No luck with Coker, sent an e-mail to Premier asking for prices.
They list it as 350X8 is that the same as 3.50-8?

@coad
Quote: I bought them in the 4.80X8 size and I just love them.

Will the 4.80X8 fit or would I have to modify the trailer?

You probably want to call Premier and talk to one of the salesmen. Yes, 350=3.50. If your trailer is like the one in the photo, those fenders look like a tight fit. I wouldn't go bigger than 3.50.

tony7914 Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:54 pm

I'll do that, thanks!

tony7914 Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:56 pm

Ok.
Premier has Trelleborg scooter rib tires in 3.50-8 4 ply for $49.00 a piece, they were out of the other one's and it's a 3 month wait to get them so guess what I ordered lol!
Thank you for your help!

coad Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:15 pm

tony7914 wrote: Ok.
Premier has Trelleborg scooter rib tires in 3.50-8 4 ply for $49.00 a piece, they were out of the other one's and it's a 3 month wait to get them so guess what I ordered lol!
Thank you for your help!

I have some Trelleborgs on a car. They're good tires too. I needed a size they don't import into North America, but I emailed the North American rep and he wrote me:

Quote: Hello,
We can include in our next container shipment from Sweden. The expected delivery would be about 5-6 weeks.
Your discounted price would be $43.20 each. Freight estimated to be around $20.00 total for 4 tires including freight, $192.00.
Thank you for your inquiry.
-Thor Sveinsvoll

They actually tossed 4 into the container and sent them to me about 2 months later. Try getting service like that from Michelin on $200 worth of tires. Besides, the dude was named Thor--how cool is that?

(I buy a lot of weird sized tires)

tony7914 Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:18 pm

lol! can't beat that with a stick :)
Thanks again for your help!

tony7914 Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:47 pm

Sorry to bother you again but can anyone tell me a safe way to remove and repack the bearings in these? I have the original wheels on it and am not sure when the last time the bearings were serviced.
Thanks again!

EraserGirl Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:00 am

does anyone have the instructions for folding this?
I am on my way to pick one up
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgodsey/3635643678/

but i need to put it IN the pickup to get it home.

thanks

EraserGirl Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 am

EraserGirl wrote: does anyone have the instructions for folding this?

thanks

well it fit right in the truck bed to bring it home,
but i still can't get it to fold
perhaps the aluminum is corroded..
It is in extraordinary condition for it's age.

Lovely design. I wonder why they are't made anymore?

tony7914 Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am

EraserGirl wrote: EraserGirl wrote: does anyone have the instructions for folding this?

thanks

well it fit right in the truck bed to bring it home,
but i still can't get it to fold
perhaps the aluminum is corroded..
It is in extraordinary condition for it's age.

Lovely design. I wonder why they are't made anymore?

You have to remove the tongue (there is a lever underneath) and then there are pins you have to drive back at the wheels to release them so they can fold in then you should be able to fold it in half. If it's sat for a long time I would advise soaking the pins for a day or two in something like WD 40 to loosen them up.

Jeanclaude Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Anybody know where I can get a replacement wheel (rim) for my Besco trailer?

zenph Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:06 am

cueman wrote: I have a Besco folding trailer that I'm converting into a diamond plate flat bed and I would be willing to sell the blue tarp cover and it's frame. The cover is torn in places, but it would be a good example to show someone to copy it, and the frame for it is good condition. $100. takes it. NE Ohio

I might be interested in your cover and frame. Do you have any pictures you could post? 8)

I found one of these trailers at a local flea market a couple of weekends ago. It's missing the wiring harness, floor, tarp & frame and rear bumper & lights, but the frame is pretty good shape. One fender is cracked pretty bad in a couple of places, but I have a friend that says he can fix it. I haven't got the pins freed up so I can fold the wheels yet . . . the guy I bought it from said he hadn't folded it up in years, and had even put several sheet metal screws in it so it couldn't fold. It needs some work to bring it back to it's original condition, but I only gave $40 for it, so I'm not complaining at all! :D