TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1968 westy Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
codyjack Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Well back in the day about September 06 i got this lil project from a guy that lived about 45 minutes away from my house but the guy was never home so we would drive up there and leave notes on the window and do everything we could so finally we went there for about the 5th time and i saw thye guy and bought it right away. Then we went to see slowlow (them boys over in the valley) and got some decent tires well we broke 2 big power handle wrenches and finally we got the wheels on and got it home. and you think that stuff sucked wait till you hear the story about what i went through with the engine or should i say engines... but thats for another time

probably my most resent pic i think its about 3 months old there's a pretty good amount of rust but i think ill live idk

this photo is from back in the day probably around the end of 2006

i don't know why i like this pic maybe because its my bus and all its glory and btw this is when i first got it I just started cleaning it up

i will have more on the way if anybody is interested

i will have more on the way if anybody is interested

Tuffluck Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:28 pm

I used to not be a big fan of the late model buses, but they have really grown on me since I got here. Love to see some more pics. What Major plans do you have?
:?:

gmag69 Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm interested so Lets see it. :wink:

codyjack Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:53 pm

well my major plans are get a distributor and replace the flywheel main seal and then it will be race ready :lol: but i would like to use this bus and learn how to do body work and let this be my practice car i guess idk what I'm gonna do

these are old pics but i will get more as soon as i get a freaking camera

i got a pic of the sink somewhere i just cant find it

dont you just love my pink seat covers :lol:

Ok well these are pics of me in the proses of cleaning it

gotta have the bling bling :lol:

this is the worst pic i got but it was siting under a tree so that sap stuff came off pretty easy

Well ill have more pics tonight i hope :wink: any questions just ask

Tuffluck Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Looks like a cool project, get it running and if you want, when the weather warms back up a bit head down towards Chattanooga and I'll give ya a hand knocking the rust off. Is it mostly surface rust? Any big dents?

codyjack Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:22 pm

sounds like a plan :wink: and the only dents are the one to the left of the spot where the emblem should be(i want one of those) and in the back bottom right i think it got hit

codyjack Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:18 pm

I found this in one of the shelves do i put it up and i was like hey that looks pretty good

take a gander at my sink ain't she a georgia peach[
:lol:

one of these days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah Right

gmag69 Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Lookin better man. Keep it up and you'll be rollin in no time. 8)

Geno :D

codyjack Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:41 pm

yeah i should have it race ready buy next week i hope :roll:

i_am_cool_fred Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:48 pm

the interior appears to be in really good shape...it's a nice bus the only problem area i see is around the windshield.

nice find...i'll definately be following this thread.

codyjack Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:14 pm

thanks i will try to keep this thing updated i wanna buy a camera but i dont have any money :cry: but oh well thank for the support

mustard_madman Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:56 pm

That sink is nicer than a lot of people's kitchen sink. teehee

codyjack Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:18 pm

mustard_madman wrote: That sink is nicer than a lot of people's kitchen sink. teehee

yeah i know but it has that little cover over it and i think the guy didnt even know that he had a sink so he never used it thats why its in such good condition :lol:

codyjack Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:59 pm

well i figured i would tell the story of all the stuff i went though with my engines well when i got the bus it had a engine in it but it was shot it had been board 60 over so it was basically useless so then I got another engine but it had a bad oil leak so me and my dad but about 6 tubes of JB weld on it right next to the drain plug so it looked like a skid plate so we put the engine in and it wouldn't fit right we had to get stuff to make it fit and the oil pump or w/e my dad put a screw in way to far and it burnt out the cam gears so when i tried to start it. It did nothing :cry: so about 3 months later i bought 2 67 bugs and got the engine out of one and slowlow and his dad worked on it a lil started it up and it ran like a top :D ..... then it made a loud sound and stopped running and we took the valve covers off and it had dropped a valve... it had a hole you could fit a golf ball through the piston so i replaced the pistons and cylinders and swapped it from a single port to a dual port with the parts off of my skid plate engine but now it runs good it just needs a distributor but im getting one soon so im good :lol:

i will try to get pics if i can

P-Dub Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Cool. I have a '68 velvet green hard top Westy. Good luck with the project!

6volt Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:43 pm

slam it, roll it, and i'll be jelous

codyjack Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:51 pm

yeah thats pretty much what im thinking
i got all i need to put it to the ground but i just need to do a few more things before i lower it :D

gmag69 Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 pm

That was one hell of a story. :shock: Hope ya get it runnin soon. Take some sand paper on a electric sander to the front and sand off that rust and see what ya got. I bet it probably isn't as bad as it looks. Probably by the windshield would be the worst if anywhere.

Geno :D

zozo Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Here's an idea for a logo on it. :wink:

codyjack Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:53 pm

well i got it running its vacuum advance is messed up or somthing like that but im gonna sand a lil on it and i need to replace some metal around the left head light theres a small hole :(