TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need alittle bit of help
Timo Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:08 am

Well i currently own a 97 vr6 gti and just recently got a 1974 VW Thing (was given to me from my grandfather he passed away) with 11,9xx ORGINAL miles...orginal paint still shining...more or less the car is 100% MINT ie not a single problem with ALL records etc. runs and drives better then my gti does :shock:

So my question to everyone is what would this Thing be worth? I know NOTHING about aircooleds.

i am the 2nd owner.

When i go pick it up i can post some photos its just a matter of setting up shipping for it.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Ghoti Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:11 am

I wish your grandfather would have adopted me!!!

Great score! Don't have a clue what it's worth. I'd drive it and fall in love with it! ACVW's are addicting!

Timo Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:14 am

oops my bad i put the wrong year i was tihnking of the beetle im getting soon sorry the Thing is a 1974

Timo Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:18 am

Ghoti wrote: I wish your grandfather would have adopted me!!!

Great score! Don't have a clue what it's worth. I'd drive it and fall in love with it! ACVW's are addicting!

I am afraid to drive the Thing :oops:

But i consister my self VERY luck to get this car or truck w/e you want to call it lol

Ghoti Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:22 am

Timo wrote: oops my bad i put the wrong year i was tihnking of the beetle im getting soon sorry the Thing is a 1974

Still a score!! I'd love to have a Thing!

Timo Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:07 am

Ghoti wrote: Timo wrote: oops my bad i put the wrong year i was tihnking of the beetle im getting soon sorry the Thing is a 1974

Still a score!! I'd love to have a Thing!

well it will most likely be for sale if/when i figure out what its worth and when i get it over here

dont really have room for another car :cry:

kuebelwagen84 Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:42 am

take a look around the classifieds on here to get an idea of how much people are pricing theirs out.

I know there's a near mint Thing by me with 15,000 miles and the guy is asking around 27000 - which I don't really think he'll get without taking it to barrett jackson...

ztnoo Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:37 am

Quote: just recently got a 1974 VW Thing (was given to me from my grandfather he passed away) with 11,9xx ORGINAL miles...orginal paint still shining...more or less the car is 100% MINT ie not a single problem with ALL records etc. runs and drives better then my gti does Shocked

So my question to everyone is what would this Thing be worth?

As a point of reference about asking pricies, look at this Thing from Classifueds with 17,800 miles.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=535722

Of course asking price and selling price can be two different figures...........
but after reading all the threads about Things with rusted out rockers; rusty and beat up fenders; missing soft tops and frames; missing seats; missing engines and running gear; and missing miscellaneous hardware on Things that people have bought and then have attempted or are attempting to restore.....finding one with only 11,000 + miles is like wandering upon The Golden Fleece. If you decide you are in the market to sell, there likely is a Jason out there ready to snatch it up.

Good pics would help all of us with a comparison of relative condition and value.

The fact your's only has 11,000 miles is a big deal, IMO.
I don't think I've ever seen pics or heard of one with mileage as low as your's.

kuebelwagen84 Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:22 am

ztnoo wrote: Quote: just recently got a 1974 VW Thing (was given to me from my grandfather he passed away) with 11,9xx ORGINAL miles...orginal paint still shining...more or less the car is 100% MINT ie not a single problem with ALL records etc. runs and drives better then my gti does Shocked

As a point of reference about asking pricies, look at this Thing from Classifueds with 17,800 miles.

Of course asking price and selling price can be two different figures...........
but after reading all the threads about Things with rusted out rockers; rusty and beat up fenders; missing soft tops and frames; missing seats; missing engines and runing gear; and missing miscellaneous hardware on Things that people have bought and then have attempted or are attempting to restore.....finding one with only 11,000 + miles is like wandering upon The Golden Fleece. If you decide you are in the market to sell, there likely is a Jason out there ready to snatch it up.

Good pics would help all of us with a comparison of relative condition and value.

I don't think I've ever seen pics or heard of one with mileage as low as your's.

fwiw, that one you just mentioned was the one selling by me that was going for 27900 - the guy also put it up on ebay and it didn't sell

Timo Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:29 am

ztnoo wrote: Quote: just recently got a 1974 VW Thing (was given to me from my grandfather he passed away) with 11,9xx ORGINAL miles...orginal paint still shining...more or less the car is 100% MINT ie not a single problem with ALL records etc. runs and drives better then my gti does Shocked

but after reading all the threads about Things with rusted out rockers; rusty and beat up fenders; missing soft tops and frames; missing seats; missing engines and runing gear; and missing miscellaneous hardware on Things that people have bought and then have attempted or are attempting to restore.....finding one with only 11,000 + miles is like wandering upon The Golden Fleece. If you decide you are in the market to sell, there likely is a Jason out there ready to snatch it up.

well i can get photos as soon as i get it shipped up here, it is sitting in a heated/conditioned garage in Cali. at the moment!

prom8n Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Timo wrote: So my question to everyone is what would this Thing be worth? I know NOTHING about aircooled.

Whoooo......well, consider this: Things are about the rarest aircooled VW, which you'd think would make them more valuable. VW didn't build very many of them, at least compared to the Beetle.

However, VW didn't build very many of them because nobody was buying them. They couldn't move them in '73, and the price was lowered in '74 without much improvement. Faced with low sales, ever-tougher emission/safety/mileage standards, VW pulled them off the US market after just 2 years.

Things are an aquired taste. They have all of the mechanical advantages of the basic air-cooled vehicle, but none of those pesky creature comforts the Beetle was loaded down with, like real windows, a waterproof interior, carpet, insulation, y'know, sissy stuff like that.

On the plus side, if you're an extrovert, there's few vehicles that will get you more looks. I've never driven another car that gave more fun per mile in the nice weather. Drop the top, pull off the doors and flop down the windshield, and you got the closest thing to a 4-seat motorcycle ever built. Fantastic fun.

What's it worth? "Only what someone else is willing to pay for it."

ztnoo Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Quote: that one you just mentioned was the one selling by me that was going for 27900 - the guy also put it up on ebay and it didn't sell
kuebelwagen84,
Your sentence really doesn't make sense to me.
What do you mean by "selling by me"?
Then you mentioned "the guy also put it up on ebay and it didn't sell", and you lost me.
Is there a typo in there?
Please clarify.
No comprendo, senor......