TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Noob - Intro and Quick Question
CoryN Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:15 am

Greetings,

I'm a complete noob at this, but have been jonesing for a dune buggy for several years now, and I am ready to enter the fold tomorrow. I've never ridden in one or been any closer to one than in a Shriner's parade, but I did make the Meyer's Manx model back in the early 70's so that's gotta count for something right?

I've located a buggy, its a project buggy, which is what I am looking for, I'm sure when it warms up, I'll be wishing I bought something more complete so I could be out driving it, but the build is half the fun right?

My question is, what recommendations do you have for dragging one home? An autotransport trailer from Uhaul? Seems a little like overkill.

Will it fit in one of the open trailers Uhaul rents? They have a 5x9 and a 6x12.

I know these things have an 80 inch wheelbase, but I don't know how wide they are.

Thanks in advance, and I promise not to ask all the newbie questions.

kustoms Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 am

The guys that hang out in this particular forum don't mind answering any question you have, small or large. Its the moderator who doesn't like them.

If the buggy is able to roll you could get a standard VW tow bar. They are about $65.00 the last time I looked. It will come in real handy as you build. I do a lot of towing so I have a dolly and a trailer.

Again, You can ask any question you need to that will help with your project.

BTW. Wait until you drive it. It will be a life altering experience.
You may want to check out the DBA forum. Check out link below.

CoryN Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks Tom,

I probably will get a tow bar at some point, but I don't know the condition of the tires/bearings etc and its a pretty good haul.

I'm familiar with the DBA, I've read every post there, just haven't signed up yet.

Cory

RaythO Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:17 am

Welcome Gossamer! Kustoms is great source for parts. he has about all you need to make your buggy have the finished look, check his web site out.
On the tow, a tow bar, flat trailer, or even putting it in the back of a uhaul are options. some of us have built on tight budgets, others have spent lots of $$$. It`s all in what you want to do to enjoy the buggy phenomenon! Feel free to ask questions. I wish I had found the samba before I built mine, would have made something easier.

Yellermanx Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:29 am

I occasionally haul mine in a 6x12 trailer. It is a tight fit width wise through the gate area. It depends on the tire/wheel width. Other than that it is the perfect size for a short wheelbase buggy.

Edited sorry forgot picture

CoryN Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks Yeller

this one doesn't have fancy wheels of any kind yet, so if yours will fit on a 6x12, this one certainly will.

lazybonz Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am

Welcome
Tom will call me a worry wart but i used the uhaul auto transporter.
It was just easier. Here it is on the trailer when i picked it up

jspbtown Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:40 am

I used a utility trailer from Taylor Rental (might be local to the North East) and my Manx fit fine and trailered well. It also had a hand winch built in so it helped to get it up onto the trailer. The ramp then closed up behind it. it was much better then a huge transport.

kustoms Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:46 am

lazybonz wrote: Welcome
Tom will call me a worry wart but i used the uhaul auto transporter.
It was just easier. Here it is on the trailer when i picked it up

Ron is our local wuss. :P

hotair65 Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:57 am

my buggy is about 6ftx11ft total. it fit on a double 4 wheeler trailer no problem. i think the general size and weight is about 1300 to 1500 lbs assuming it is a short pan buggy. not a full lenght.

andk5591 Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Don't be shy about asking questions, but try the search feature first. Sometimes that is hard though, because you don't even really know what the question is.....

Anyway - looks like you got some good ideas for getting it home.

Here's a couple other pieces of advice -
1. Try to hook up with your local VW underground. There's always some guys that knows all the other VW guys in your area and you can really benefit from them.
2. Have a thick skin on samba - there's a few :shock: jerks on here, but most folks are great. But - don't take everything that you read as gospel untill you figure out who really knows their stuff and who doesn't.
3. There are quite a few "right ways" to do many things on your car. I can think of 3 major experts that will post very different responses to a question - and each of them is right.
4. Get a couple manuals - get a Bentley for sure. Also the "idiots guide" is very nice as is a Hayes or Chiltons to fill in some gaps.
5. Get a good vision of what you want the car to be and try to stay with it.
6. Do it right the first time.
7. Welcome to the hobby - been exactly where you are a few years ago and now I feel like an old timer LOL.
8. Most important - Have fun!!!!!!

CoryN Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks all,

I've secured the wussy Uhaul auto-transport for this trip. And there is now more grease on the slippery slope, as its looking like I will be having to make two trips instead of one :wink: :twisted:

Can you fit two of these things in one stall of a garage? I'm hopeful that between the two of them, I'll have all the necessary parts.

lazybonz Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:19 pm

wussies rule :D

Hey I used your tow dolly Tom
on the longer trips i find it better to use a trailer i guess its the truck driver in me.

lazybonz Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:30 pm

yellermanx is that a standerd landscapers trailer?
I was looking into one of those.

Tom are you looking for a sea container i know a guy getting rid of one
I think its a 20'. cheap i think. give me a call

kustoms Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:34 pm

lazybonz wrote: yellermanx is that a standerd landscapers trailer?

Tom are you looking for a sea container i know a guy getting rid of one
I think its a 20'. cheap i think. give me a call

Na, I already have the 40' and 20' full. If I got another one I would just fill it up with more Dune buggy junk I will never use. Thanks anyway wussie.

Yellermanx Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:30 pm

lazybonz wrote: yellermanx is that a standerd landscapers trailer?

I guess that's what you could call it. I had the trailer for years before I had the buggy, it just happens to fit well.

Notice there is a winch on the front of it also. It comes in handy for tying the buggy down. It can also be used to load a non running buggy. There has been a couple of those on there also. However Yeller has always self loaded so far. :D

Mr Bs Bug N Buggy Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:48 am

Yellermanx wrote:
Notice there is a winch on the front of it also. It comes in handy for tying the buggy down. It can also be used to load a non running buggy. There has been a couple of those on there also. However Yeller has always self loaded so far. :D

Elderly drivers don't normally drive their buggies hard enough to break them..... :lol: :D :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Hi Chuck..... :lol:

Bob Albright Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:32 pm

I've been involved in both off-road and street motorcycles and 4x4 trucks and this family of buggy junkies is by far the coolest, helpful bunch of bozo's i've been around.
I built a Meyers Manx back in the early 70's. 1200 single port, 6-volt buggy that I found rotting in an Oklahoma field. Gave $500 for it and it ran. Tow bar'd it home and the fun began. Body off, pan rebuild, rewire to 12 volt, body sanding and polishing, etc, etc, etc. and loved every moment.
I'm pushing 60 now and can't do all that stuff I did before, so I found my Manx 2 that's about 90% and I've come to realize that alot of the rules have changed. These people keep with the newest changes and upgrades, mistakes and how-to's and are very willing to share. Like was mentioned before, you can't be thin-skinned, but I've learned so very much from this bunch. Now I'm addicted to these forums. Their knowledge is awesome.
Have a blast and gook luck.