TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thing v. Iltis
lukesky Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:23 am

Who out there has owned/driven both a Thing and an Iltis? How do they compare for handling, ride, maintenance, etc?

I'm wondering how what an Iltis would look like with a Sunshine Yellow finish.

TDodge7 Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:48 pm

i'm kinda color blind , so that'll have to do .

FreakCitySF Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:03 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...0&rd=1

I want one!

I really need a garage before I buy another car though.

Esp with a convertable top.

They look tons of fun though.

1961bluebug Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 pm

completely different animal..Iltis has far better offroading abilities then a Thing.. and with diesel it is unbeatable.. but still like the look of my Thing better..

Greg David Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:57 am

As was already stated, the Iltis and the Thing are completely different animals. The Iltis has a wonderful 4WD system with a locking rear differential, independant suspension, and ample ground clearance. The Thing is... well... a Beetle. The only thing they really share is their corrugated body panel style and the exact same windshield assembly. Beyond that, the similarities end. The Iltis is an incredivble machine that has gotten a bad rap in the English speaking world because the Canadians paid way too much for theirs building them in Canada and then treated them like shit so they were labeled unreliable. Then they bitched about soldiers dying in them when hit with IED's. Well, let me tell you something, it doesn't matter what you are driving, unless it is HEAVILY armored, you are going to get F'ed up by an IED....

Cheers!

Greg

Greg David Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:00 am

Oh, and BTW, FreakcitySF, if you want an Iltis, better save your pennies, because it will cost you big $$$$ if you ever want to own an Iltis that can be registered in CA. They are virtually impossible to own here unless it is a diesel or you go through lots of hoops and conversion expense to make it meet CARB standards.....

G

xeno Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:43 am

I currently have both. As stated their characteristics greatly differ. One does not handle or drive like the other. However, if you set behind the wheel in one, that is parked, not running, and squint your eyes, you might mistake one for the other. Both are utilitarian vehicles.

X