TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Preparing for a long drive ahead
eastwood420247 Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:27 am

im heading from va to co in the spring and driving my 73 thing out there
she runs like a top but i have felt a slight miss in 2nd sometimes any tips for long hauls and anything i should do before hand?

eurotrashrabbit Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:23 pm

What part of VA ?

eastwood420247 Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:30 pm

harrisonburg

eurotrashrabbit Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I will be down that way this weekend to pick up my "new" Thing in Lexington.

eastwood420247 Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:48 pm

right on i scored mine in blacksburg
good stuff
any input ?

Van-go108 Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:59 pm

A miss or a "hic-up"? With all the miles ahead of you that could be an issue. When's that last time you did a tune-up? Check any fuel filters and gas line condition. Gas may not freeze but water in the line does. Since it's the cooler time of the year you may not need to worry too much of overheating the oil. Got a heater? Colorado has a late snow season.

eastwood420247 Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:06 pm

i changed the plugs and wires, im learning how to do everything my self so what else dose a tune up consist of and im thinking about installing a oil temp gage how would i go about that?
ya i have a gas heater but i thing i need to prime it

eastwood420247 Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:06 pm

in 2nd it kind dies out sometime but 1-4 are fine

eurotrashrabbit Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Yes valve adjustment, check for vacuum leaks, set the dwell and consider a solid state ignition

Van-go108 Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Invest in a tach/dwell meter. You can "time" small motors without a timing light but I use a light. The timing could be slightly off. do you hear any "spark-knock"? like it was on running on cheap gas.

eastwood420247 Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:20 pm

whats the best way to test for vacuums leaks
and whats this all about "set the dwell and consider a solid state ignition"
im have not really had a chance to drive it around alot due to no lic. but that problem will be solved march 15
im 25 and trying to learn all i can so i can keep this car up to par myself

and i meet that guy you bought your thing off of one day

Van-go108 Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:25 pm

eurotrashrabbit wrote: Yes valve adjustment, check for vacuum leaks, set the dwell and consider a solid state ignition
Me too!
The P.O. of my Thing put a Ford solenoid claiming that fixed Her problem. What the deal-e-o with solid state ignition and the starter?

Get this book.

eastwood420247 Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:32 pm

indeed i intend to for sure

glutamodo Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:32 pm

Tune up is replacing plugs, points, condensor, cap, and rotor, then setting the timing and point gap(dwell) and idle speed. Tach/dwell meter - not necessary but I like to use them. I set the dwell to 47° +/- 3°. Idle speed to around 900RPM.

Point igntions - nothing wrong with them. Electronic "points replacement" (Pertronix, Compufire, to name two companies that make them) kits remove the points and condenser, and give less trouble, require no maintenance, etc. I've never put them on my own cars, thought about it but never did it- for me though, points usually don't give that much trouble, and I trust my bugs to take me anywhere.

Vacuum leak check - let it idle, then get a can of spray starting fluid, and spray the intake manifold where the rubber boots are and where they meet the heads - if there is any leaks you'll get an instant change in the idle speed.

sword181 Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:46 pm

WD-40 works just as good as starting fluid and is a whole lot safer.

eastwood420247 Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:30 am

thanks people

csmith181 Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:01 am

PLEASE adjust your valves!

do it when you leave and once you get there. This should be done at every oil change and only when the engin has been off for at least 8 hours. When I was young and didn't know better I adjusted valves once per motor. Now that engines can't be bought for $50 and come wrapped in an old beetle anymore, I've learned to not let them die from sucked valves.

Be sure to replace the front brake shoes. If the shoes are old you could have the linings come off the backing leaving you with no brakes (seen it).

Leather steering wheel cover, handy for long grip times.

Get the number for a good masseuse where you're going. After that long a drive in a thing you'll need it!

All that being said, enjoy your trip!

stevehenderson Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 am

Another idea.
Clean and grease the CVs on the rear axles if not done in years or just carry a bus type 2 one in case. They work temporarily or you may get stuck waiting for the part.

Look to see if rubber boots on CVs and ball joints are OK.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAA CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAA CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmwloco Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 am

I second it. Get a AAA card.

And better yet, "register" your trip with AAA. Why? Trip Interruption Insurance!

You break down, AAA pays you back for the inconvenience. Hotel, repairs, food.

I did it once in my '71 Dodge D100 truck. It had been stone reliable, but lost it's entire rear end outside of Birmingham, AL. AAA ponied up $800.