TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Eletric lock help?? 87 Vanagon GL 2.1lt Page: 1, 2  Next
Zippo Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:41 pm

I have a 87 Vanagon GL 2.1 Lt that has power locks. When I got it there was no power lock switch anywhere. I have looked everywhere for a replacement does anyone know where they can be found or who makes a replacement?

swmontana Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Vanagons have no separate power lock switch. When you depress the door lock plunger in either front door all the doors and the rear hatch are supposed to lock up. Likewise, when you pull up the plunger on either front door all the locks open.

larrytrk Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 pm

swmontana wrote: Vanagons have no separate power lock switch. When you depress the door lock plunger in either front door all the doors and the rear hatch are supposed to lock up. Likewise, when you pull up the plunger on either front door all the locks open.

Obviously when you insert the key in either front door, lock/unlocks all doors including rear hatch (if it is so set-see instructions)

Wildthings Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:19 pm

I am making an assumption here, but do your locks not work? One of the main modes of failure is wires breaking in the loom that runs from the doors to the body. Pretty easy to trouble shoot, but very difficult to get a new wire through the loom.

Zippo Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:35 pm

The entire time I have had the van the power locks have never worked. I insert the key into either front door and all it does is unlock that door I have never even heard it make a noise. Is there also a fuse or relar for them that might be out?

Zippo Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:42 pm

I have notice before when I took the old door panels off that all the power lock motors are all there and intact but appear to all be missing a little rod that attaches to the motor and goes somewhere else.

Crughy Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Check the gowesty troubleshooting:

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=314

JP

Zippo Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Read section on Go westy.com on power locks that explains alot of things have to get out there tommorrow and do some trouble shooting. The motors for the lock arent exactly cheap ha ha but nothing is these days anyways.

larrytrk Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:38 pm

You can repair the lock actuators remove screws, pry them carefully open, lube motor, clean contacts, etc reseal and reuse.
They are sturdy and can be reserected, if the contacts are OK, especially the spring loaded center one that controls the other locks.

Zippo Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:40 pm

I will inspect them in the morning Does anyone know where I can get the rod that attaches to the actuator?

Dogpilot Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:44 pm

This is a rundown on the lock motors:
Fuse info:http://www.vanagonparts.com/fuse_panel_86to91.html

Zippo Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Wonder if I could just use a part of a coat hanger for the metal rod I am missing I dont see why it wouldnt work

Dogpilot Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm

the rod is a bit more rigid than coat hanger wire also a bit larger diameter. THe Home whatever stores have some rod in various diameters available for a couple of $ each. Use mild steel, it will bend. The real problem is if some of the connecting hardware.

Steelhead Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm

larrytrk wrote: You can repair the lock actuators remove screws, pry them carefully open, lube motor, clean contacts, etc reseal and reuse.
They are sturdy and can be reserected, if the contacts are OK, especially the spring loaded center one that controls the other locks.

Before you go taking them apart...
Read dogpilots instructions to understand which wire in the pigtail does what, and bench test each one with clean 12v power.

Zippo Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Will make sure I test them all first to make sure they work tommorrow.

McHuntley Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Zippo wrote: Will make sure I test them all first to make sure they work tommorrow.

Hey, Check in the bottom of the door! Just in case!

Steelhead Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Zippo wrote: Will make sure I test them all first to make sure they work tommorrow.
yeah, the little plungers would be going up and down w/o the rods (and you would definitely hear it). If you aren't hearing anything its likely a power to the door issue.

Because if one actuator isn't working properly, the others will usually respond in some way to a door being locked or unlocked.

Using an alligator clip with a pin on it to pierce/test the wires might be useful to check whats hot when (I read about that on here once and did it myself...a quick search should turn up a few good threads).

larrytrk Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:45 am

When I said pry them open, I assumed they were frozen and would not respond electrically.
They are generally so loud in operation you can tell if they are actuating.

Zippo Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:19 am

I will check to see if there is any power going to them at all. It would be nice to get them working if I could.

larrytrk Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 am

Check the fuse!!