TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wood Roll Bar! No kidding...WOOD
myxomycota Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:42 pm

There is a buggy on ebay with a roll bar made of WOOD...for only $12000! :shock: Get it before it's gone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Dune-Buggy_W...enameZWDVW

flaboyjim Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:38 pm

It may go very quickly - its all wood and the owners name is SMOKEY - go figure...

HamburgerBrad Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:48 pm

he doesn't call it a roll cage. that seems to be more of a frame for supporting the top.

it's still nothing I would build, or even run.

vw (o\!/o) nut Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Reminds me of a picture window at grandmas place.

Lo Cash John Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:52 pm

Shouldn't that be "Roll Board"?

Actually, I'm not gonna bust on it. It is different and the wood work is top notch. I wish I had that kind of skill.

vincent9993 Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:44 am

I tend to agree with you, the craftmanship seems very good. And you have to respect the seller for not trying to pass it as an authentic Manx as happen too often. Replace the wood support brace with a steel roll bar and you have a nice looking ride that's definatly different!

lazybonz Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:02 am

I wonder if he carries tweesers in the glove box.

I am a woodworker and it does look like a nice job. I have to ask if he inclosed the steel roll bar with the wood that would only make sense
JMO

Glasser Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:02 am

This reminds me of a time my Mom and I were out. We seen a van drive by with an mural on the side. My mom said " that looks ugly" I had to agree with her but on the other hand could appreciate the time, money and effort that went into it.
Same applies here. The quality of work is amazing.... but wood running boards and roll bar?? A bit to much. I love to luggage rack and console work.

myxomycota Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:50 am

That's kind of like around Atlanta we always see pickup trucks with an airbrush mural of itself (the pickup)...that's kind of like having a tattoo of yourself on your arm isn't it. It cracks me up but the artwork is sometimes pretty inventive. I bet someone is right...probably the wood is around an actual bar.

Mr. Unpopular Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:27 am

The ad says he's in St. Pete (near Tampa). His phone number is an Orlando area code though.

Either way, I've never seen it at local shows or anything.