TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: End of an era
sturgeongeneral Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:04 pm

Well folks, I must sadly say today is an end of an era. After all the playful banter here, the heated arguments, the fistfights and duels at sundown, I had to remove my dual bazookas. Sadly to say, the new Webers would not tune in with the bazookas. I had to succumb to the 4 into 1 merged exhaust. It breaks my heart to loose the awesome look and sound of the dual exhaust. Setting off car alarms, dirty looks from the cops, and the playful jeering from fellow samba-ites. The good news is that after a week at the shop for dyno-tuning, jetting, and synchonizing, I can finally once again pull wheelies. Sadly, they are performed with a much lower decibel level. It did dyno test out @ 207 hp @ about 1200 pounds making better than a hp per every six pounds. I did however save the bazookas for when I build the next buggy with a smaller motor.

didget69 Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Your neighbors called to say "Thank-you"...

But ya' got 207 ponies to play with - mission accomplished! :D

bnc

Dudbust Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:19 pm

Now you just might be able to hear what the wife is saying :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did the same thing ditched the cannons for a 4 into 1 . I miss drowning out those young punks with their loud stereos at the stop lights..like to watch them roll the windows up..

Endoboy Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Sturgeon... I'm speechless. I can hear again. :lol: :wink:

darkdune Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:56 pm

i had to retire my dual cannons this season also.. my new motor cant run em..

ill miss the look, and the sound... i never got around to installing those baffles..

*tear*

Good bye cannons!

wythac Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:24 pm

I've turfed mine before even starting the motor after I heard a similarly set up engine with identical dual bazookas. It was painfully loud at anything but idle. Pride won't let me sell 'em, however, and I really like the look, so they may get installed from time to time just for sport or show.

sturgeongeneral Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Dudbust wrote: Now you just might be able to hear what the wife is saying :lol: :lol: :lol: .

You say that like it is a good thing????

Dudbust Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Never said it was a good thing...If you drive fast enough you can still drown them out.. :lol: :lol:

sturgeongeneral Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Really she is a pretty good sport. She rides on the trike with me, battles the San Francisco bay system with me on the boat, but when it comes to the buggy every time I look over at her she is white knuckled and has that look of fear and panic on her face. She doesn't even complain till the ride is over. Then she will slip in a comment like "I felt that front end come off the ground or your gonna end up in so much trouble with that thing". But when it comes to buying something for the buggy she always asks why I didn't just buy it. If she keeps it up she might even pass her probation with me in 15 or 20 years.

myxomycota Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:59 pm

You know what>? I just put the pipes in the picture on my buggy but have not fired it up yet and won't for awhile...I did not realize they would be that loud? Are there baffles I can put in these things or am I screwed (because I can't return them)? They sure don't appear to be baffled from looking in them

ManxBug Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:05 pm

I've got dual cannons and they are loud but not louder than a Harley. They only set off the alarms that are overly sensitive (ie Rice Racers). I think these guys are just too old (just kidding).

MURZI Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:07 pm

You know the rules :lol: :lol: :lol:

ManxBug Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 pm

sturgeongeneral Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Those look like what I have on the trike. It has a stock 1600 with big valves and dual empis. You are correct about being as loud as a Harley. The duals I took off were different and and were basically open pipes. GREAT sound, but extremely loud. I was very happy with them, but the new Webers were NOT. I am saving them for future projects....

bpritchert87 Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:50 pm

did they look like these???

sturgeongeneral Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Neither pair is like those. I can not tell you how yours actually sound. But please let us know what they sound like.

ManxBug Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:47 am

Ya mine are the Dual EMPI's too.