TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thing wires
bigbussur Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:38 pm

These wires come out of the main harness next to the battery, was wondering where these three wires possibly go? Thanks in advance for the help. Here is a pic of the new motor getting put back together, driving soon! Anthony

Ron Domeck Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:46 pm

The wires were from the Computer system that you would take your car to the Dealer and they would plug in to the white square box in the engine comp. and do a check. They are not needed. The 2 brown wires went to the battery ground and the VW battery had a term. on top of the battery for the other wire.

bigbussur Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Ron, many thanks, i appreciate it. Less wires in the equation is fine by me, they will be gone soon. Have a good one, later on anthony

kubelmann Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:46 pm

FYI many of us use these test wires to run gauges. It is an elegant use of existing wiring.

DesertGolfGuy Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:22 am

Tell me more about using the computer block in the thing to run guages. A hot leade would be good to connect the timing light. What other goodies could you clue us in on.

mattt Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 am

Many years back now, I used as much of the existing test socket harness to run supplemental gauges. Sure, you have to extend them from that point forward to the dash, but it can be done quite nicely if you can harvest additional wire from a junkyard which is what I did. I now have continuous wire color and gauge from the engine compartment to the dash. I think I still have a few additional wires left that are currently unused.

Someone asked about a hot lead...IIRC, there is a large gauge red wire that comes from the + side of the starter going into the test socket loom.

bigbussur Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:55 pm

Nice, those are great ideas to keep those for gauges, I want to look at getting those wires to the dash as well, or something close,haha. I was wondering what I would do with that plastic box, looks like everything is going to stay in place.

mattt Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:32 am

I cut the test port out and left the wires in place. When I had my harness out of the car, I moved that harness loom to the other side of the engine compartment to reach the areas I wanted to monitor with gauges....oil temp & pressure.