TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Manx Real Or Kit??? Page: 1, 2  Next
bsonny Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 pm

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can find out if my Manx is real or a kit car? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

nightmanx11 Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:29 pm

:roll: I believe that every Manx is/was a kit car.

nomis Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 pm

what he said! :lol:

Maybe post some pics up.

There are a lot of "fake" manxes out their, but ALL buggies are technically kit cars!

RaythO Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 pm

post some pics and that will help. does it have a ID tag? there are lots of buggies that look like a manx

BL3Manx Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:46 pm

bsonny wrote: I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can find out if my Manx is real or a kit car? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post some pictures of it on here and we can probably tell you whether its a Meyers Manx or another brand of buggy. If it appears to be a Meyers Manx, you can contact the Meyers Manx club and they will provide verification for you.

ralphdjeeper Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 am

In the forums on this site,look at Questions about Meyers Manx,page 4,i posted some pictures of the tubes under my Manx-1,also there other pictures you can compare to yours too,that might help, in forum click on the little picture that says gallery. :D

bim55 Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:55 am

Q - What is the most often copied or replicated car body of all times?

A) - Cobra (all of them)
B) - Porsche (Speedster & Spyders combined)
C) - Ferrari (all of them)
D) - Meyers Manx

Should be easy for this group.

Boston Bob E

SiggyManx#33 Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:09 am

Cobra.

vw (o\!/o) nut Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 am

D would surpass A B & C combined.

kustoms Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Thats a hard one. Manx, Cobra, Who knows.

dan macmillan Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:53 pm

nightmanx11 wrote: :roll: I believe that every Manx is/was a kit car.

Technically they are NOT kit cars...they are rebodies. Re bodied vehicles.
Kitcars have custom, non factory built chassis with assigned VINs.

SiggyManx#33 Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 pm

dan macmillan wrote: nightmanx11 wrote: :roll: I believe that every Manx is/was a kit car.

Quote your source for this information please.

Letterman7 Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 pm

dan macmillan wrote: nightmanx11 wrote: :roll: I believe that every Manx is/was a kit car.

Er...no, Dan. A traditional kit car, in this aspect of the thread, is a car that was assembled on a VW chassis. In the broader sense of the word, it can be construed as a vehicle assembled from parts gathered from other donor vehicles and/or a kit purchased from a manufacturer. All the kits I've owned have been assigned the chassis number or have been assigned their own VIN, even based on a full VW chassis.

Does that make a dunebuggy a kit? Well, technically yes, since there are usually multiple pieces that attach to the supplied manufacturer's body (windscreen, hood/motor cover, etc).
Can you call them rebodies? Sure, why not? It still doesn't change the meaning, since there are kits out there that 'rebody' Chevy Caprice's and Ford Crown Victorias into vintage car replicas and pickup trucks, and are marketed as rebodies.

Beat me to it, Siggy!

R

JoeCoastie Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:37 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_car

Found this definition interesting.
It's on the internet... it must be true.

MURZI Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Guys....must be a manix with a "porch" engine :lol: :lol: :lol: ...my brother in law had one in the 70's ...would pull wheelies in third gear :roll: :roll: :roll:

dan macmillan Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 pm

Letterman7 wrote: dan macmillan wrote: nightmanx11 wrote: :roll: I believe that every Manx is/was a kit car.

Er...no, Dan. A traditional kit car, in this aspect of the thread, is a car that was assembled on a VW chassis. In the broader sense of the word, it can be construed as a vehicle assembled from parts gathered from other donor vehicles and/or a kit purchased from a manufacturer. All the kits I've owned have been assigned the chassis number or have been assigned their own VIN, even based on a full VW chassis.

Does that make a dunebuggy a kit? Well, technically yes, since there are usually multiple pieces that attach to the supplied manufacturer's body (windscreen, hood/motor cover, etc).
Can you call them rebodies? Sure, why not? It still doesn't change the meaning, since there are kits out there that 'rebody' Chevy Caprice's and Ford Crown Victorias into vintage car replicas and pickup trucks, and are marketed as rebodies.

Beat me to it, Siggy!

R

Siggy, you asked me to "Quote your source for this information please."
My source is personal experience with the DOT and insurance companies.
Here in Ontario, Canada there is a difference. Most insurance companies will not insure Kit Cars but will do rebodied vehicles. All of my buggies are registered as the donor car that the chassis came from using the original VW assigned VIN. The first one I did got registered as a 2001 Kit Car with an assigned VIN and there was no insurance company that would touch it. When I managed to have it re-registered as a 1968 VW Beetle I had no problems. Yes the insurance co knows they are dune buggies. They have full color pictures and appraisals for each car.

Letterman7 Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 pm

Isn't that just semantics, then, Dan? Canada's insurance and registrations are of course different than the States, but the basic discussion of kit vs rebody remains the same. So your statement of "Kitcars have custom, non factory built chassis with assigned VINS" is null and void, since you were able to get a kit registered as a VW Beetle. So now you have a factory VIN with a kit body to clear the insurance issues...it's not a Beetle anymore, right?

Joe - ain't that what I basically said :) ?

JoeCoastie Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:51 pm

Letterman7 wrote: Isn't that just semantics, then, Dan? Canada's insurance and registrations are of course different than the States, but the basic discussion of kit vs rebody remains the same. So your statement of "Kitcars have custom, non factory built chassis with assigned VINS" is null and void, since you were able to get a kit registered as a VW Beetle. So now you have a factory VIN with a kit body to clear the insurance issues...it's not a Beetle anymore, right?

Joe - ain't that what I basically said :) ?

Yep, I do agree with your statement.
I see your in PA. How difficult was it to register your build. I am a resident of PA (military living out of state)I have to do all paperwork for this build by phone. It took some convincing just to get them to send me the MV-1 form (supposedly available only in person) Any tips, tricks or thoughts?

Letterman7 Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm

My Sterling had no issues, as it had a special construction title. My Manx also had a title as a VW Beetle - again, no issues with paperwork. My new Sterling will present special problems, as it's a ground-up build on a custom frame (see other thread discussion http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281000), so I'll document that as I go. I'm not even close to starting that one yet :D

As far as insurance, most PA insurance folks won't do "standard" dune buggies because of the tire coverage and engine covers, or lack thereof. I was able to get both vehicles insured through Grundy by sending my agent to the appropriate websites so he could see what a SR looked like, and the rest is history. And yeah, the MV-1 is the only form they don't have on-line. Figures, right?

R

JoeCoastie Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Thanks for the info. Thankfully, It's tited as a VW Beetle so no problems there. I have my insurance for North Carolina, and I'm not worried about the vehicle inspection unless I move back to PA. I just heard about the pictures required of the vehicle and Harrisburg holding up the forms (other thread you mentioned) and was looking for some tips on that subject and possibly some things to watch out for. I appreciate the response and look forward to seeing posts of your build on the custom!

Yeah, the whole form thing had me laughing, I told the operator I was living out of state, and asked where I could get the form... she said "just stop by one of our convenient DMV locations" I said, "Oh, where in North Carolina can I find one of those"... She then put me on hold