TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine Problem???
laug6615 Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Hey guys I just finished up the wiring in the Allison with great help and thanks to everyone here. I was so excited to fire it off, but it didn't happen. Heres the problem. When it starts the engine revs up real high, even though I dont have the throttle applied, and then shuts down. It runs real rough, shakes the whole car when it first fires, then cuts off. So I pump the accelerator and it fires, revs up high and shuts down. Whats up, any ideas. I have checked the wires to the coil, plug wires, took the carb off, its pumping, static timed it again, checked the auto choke, I give up.

jspbtown Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Check again that all the plug wires are hooked up right. With those seperators its easy to cross the wires.

Also, is your idle solenoid hooked up and working?

Fuel pump hooked up right? Top from the tank...bottom to the carb.

Mongo63 Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:48 pm

I would look for a vacuum leak right off. Check float level and verify proper fuel pump operation. What is your carbs air screw set at?

laug6615 Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:52 pm

I have double checked the wires because they were new. When I took the engine out I only took the manifold and carb off, thats as far as I went mechanically speaking. The other stuff like engine tin, generator cover, coil, and stuff like that was only cosmetics. I left the distributor in and hadn't messed with the settings on the carb. It was running when I pulled it out. Could this be a wiring problem? I completely rewired the buggy.

jspbtown Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Also, is your idle solenoid hooked up and working? Pulling + off the coil?

Doesn't sound like wiring because it will fire. Can you keep it running with the pedal?

Sounds much more fuel related.

Idle solenoid
Vacuum leak
Throttle linkage operating smoothly?

laug6615 Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Yes the idle solenoid is working also and no I cant keep it running. When it revs up real high I kill it because i am afraid its going to blow.Its crazy what it does when it tries to fire. I used the wiring diagram thats floating around her in the forum and changed what I needed to. I know very little about wiring, but could something there be a problem? Like just to make sure on the + coil, black wire goes to the ignition side of switch, then from + coil goes to idle solenoid and auto choke. - side of coil goes to distributor. Now on the back of the speedo-o is where I got a little lost because I dont know what everything is, any diagrams anywhere so I can double check? Thanks, I know Im electrical illiterate.

laug6615 Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 am

Hey guys, I think you may have hit it with a vacuum leak. I pulled the carb last night as well as the manifold ends. I was going to replace all the intake gaskets. Strange there wasn't any washers on the nuts holding down the manifold ends. So guess what I found when I pulled the ends, stupid me dropped the washers down on the gaskets before I put the manifold ends on and bolted them down. Duh! That left a space between the gasket and intake ends, so I bet that created one he@! of a leak. I haven't got the carb back on to fire it again, but I bet that was causing all my problems.

jspbtown Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:31 am

Mongo wins!