TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: coil position
bob cook Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 am

what is the proper way of mounting coil straight up and down?? upside down?? side ways?? or does it really matter thanks

Glenn Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:56 am

The factory mounted them point down. I assume it's to ensure the oil inside is covering the top of the coil. But i've seen then in all directions, so I don't think it matters.

ManxBug Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:58 am

I've been told that the Bosch is mounted with the wire towards the bottom, and the Flamethrowers should have the wire facing up. That's how I mounted mine.

The reason is that there is oil inside that cools the coil. If the oil is not filled to the top for some reason then the coil can be partially out of the oil and over heat. So the sticker on the coil is suppose to give some clue as to how the coil is placed inside.

edit ^^^ beat me to it.

hotair65 Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:15 am

i have heard that you shouldnt mount them with either of the terminals at the 12:00 position with the coil on its side(or parralell to the ground) because of the same oil/cooling issue. just my 2cents

Glenn Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:19 am

ManxBug wrote: I've been told that the Bosch is mounted with the wire towards the top,

Stock 74 1600DP. The coil is pointed down.

Jimmler Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 am

It's easier for the electrons to flow out if it's upside down. :)

Dale M. Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:16 am

Seriously , if there is no specific instructions on coil as how to mount it, I really don't think it matters.... The minute amount of air space in coil not filled with oil is not going to effect cooling enough to cause a problem...

I personally like the horizontal mount that tucks coil down behind fuel pump where it is pretty much out if sight... Mount is designed to get coil out of way for "cross bar" linkage for dual carbs .... Doubt if there is room for that sort of mount if you are using stock center mount carb manifold though...

Dale

Dudbust Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Mounted mine behind dog house..been working good for 18 months now.laying on it's side

sturgeongeneral Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:43 pm

I just installed a pair of dual Webers. Included in the kit was a coil relocation bracket. The bracket mounts behind the fuel pump to the case and fuel pump rear stud and lays the coil down horizontally.

ManxBug Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:02 pm

Fixed my above post I realized I had it backwards. Sorry.

As others have said. It really shouldn't matter as long as the oil level is right in the coil.