TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The new guys 63 1/2 sunroof
63bugger Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Hey guys I just wanted to join up and join the fun. I just picked up this 63 back in january. Ive been hard at work trying to get her back on the road and in cruising status.. Here are some pics from the begining to now..

When I got her home.

pulled this junk out of the back

Let me know what you guys think...

type3dude Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Did you keep the gex block? Please say no

63bugger Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:01 pm

hahaha.... Right now its just taking up space. I want to running till it blows... I say it would take 10 mins lol..it that..

Mr. Bungle Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:54 pm

looks good. good work on the motor.

if your car is a stock steel sunroof car, it is a 64....not a 63. post up your vin & we'll confirm the year & month that the car was built.

estofer Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:17 pm

I like the motor upgrade!!

Have fun with it!

vdub66gone Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:26 pm

lookin great (im a fellow aircooler :wink: ) oh and ou spelled houston wrong in your avatar area :shock:

VWAdam Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Mr. Bungle wrote: looks good. good work on the motor.

if your car is a stock steel sunroof car, it is a 64....not a 63. post up your vin & we'll confirm the year & month that the car was built.
I'd be willing to bet that it is technically a '64 but built within the first two weeks when they were essentially '63s (hence the small turn signals and small license plate light) a buddy of mine has one like that. It is a hardtop though.

63bugger Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:08 pm

VWAdam wrote: Mr. Bungle wrote: looks good. good work on the motor.

I'd be willing to bet that it is technically a '64 but built within the first two weeks when they were essentially '63s (hence the small turn signals and small license plate light) a buddy of mine has one like that. It is a hardtop though.

You are right.. My car was actually built in Oct. of 1963. The first metal sunroof bugs were first produced mid year in 63. I have the original title from the dealer which the says it is a 1963 year model.

73GRNstandard Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:25 pm

nice ride, i like the color combo. are you going to make it out to fredricksberg in april?

Mr. Bungle Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:10 am

63bugger wrote: VWAdam wrote: Mr. Bungle wrote: looks good. good work on the motor.

You are right.. My car was actually built in Oct. of 1963. The first metal sunroof bugs were first produced mid year in 63. I have the original title from the dealer which the says it is a 1963 year model.

beetles built after august 1st 1963 = 1964 model.

if your car was built in october of 1963, it is a 64 model. so there's no point calling it a 63 or a 63 1/2.

i question the documentation you have from the dealer. it would be great if you could post a picture of it.

63bugger Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:09 pm

73GRNstandard wrote: nice ride, i like the color combo. are you going to make it out to fredricksberg in april?

Yeah I think I will keep the color combo and yes, I will make out to the Fredrickberg..
Oh yeah as far as me calling my bug a 63 1/2. I honestly don't care what year she is. She is mine...lol I'll post up the documents up tomarrow... for now here is the chassis number. 5819663

David Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Mr. Bungle wrote: looks good. good work on the motor.

yupp - the title is misleading.

Congrats on your purchase of your '64 Sunroof!

63bugger Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:51 pm

V0LKSWAGENSRULE wrote: Mr. Bungle wrote: looks good. good work on the motor.

yupp - the title is misleading.

Congrats on your purchase of your '64 Sunroof!
No matter.. I love this bug thats all that matters. I just don't understand why people like to get so technical and feel like it matters... Oh well..

Keith Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:57 pm

I have a early '65 with the original title. It was titled as a '64 because they used the year built and not the production year. Incidently if I'm reading this right my vin is 115007584 so that would make it the 7,584th bug to roll off the production line in '65? That would make it pretty early then.

Bill T234 Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:02 pm

I have a 63 also. the vin is 5346835... Where do you find what month it was built. Mine is titled a 1963...

Mr. Bungle Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:16 am

63bugger wrote: No matter.. I love this bug thats all that matters. I just don't understand why people like to get so technical and feel like it matters... Oh well..
that's great that you love your car. it will make maintaining it and driving it all the more enjoyable. :wink:

as far as getting technical.....making sure that your vehicle is insured and titled as the correct year seems pretty logical to me and doesnt seem to be too "technical" imho. it's just what it is. you could modify the crap out of it, but the fact will still remain that it is indeed a 64 model.

ovalteen wrote: I have a early '65 with the original title. It was titled as a '64 because they used the year built and not the production year. Incidently if I'm reading this right my vin is 115007584 so that would make it the 7,584th bug to roll off the production line in '65? That would make it pretty early then.

you're car was built in early aug '64 and is indeed a 65 model. as far as being the 7584th 65 model made....i'm not 100% sure, but after looking at the tech page here on thesamba.com it sure looks like it.

Bill T234 wrote: I have a 63 also. the vin is 5346835... Where do you find what month it was built. Mine is titled a 1963...
your car was built in march '63 and is indeed a 63 model.

look here for vin #'s....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Bill T234 Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:50 am

So than mine is a 63 steel sun roof car. I just picked it up. went to look at it seeing the sunroof I figured it was a mis-titled 64. I figured it was a early sun roof cars. I think small window sunroofs are pretty rare themselfs. :wink: anyone have any ideas of #'s produced?

Alan Willis Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:52 am

The ragtop was either grafted or the body was swapped.
In either case,it is a nice looking bug!