TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Battery mount in Manx I
john morris Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:09 am

Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted the battery in a Manx I? I plan on using the battery well molded into the car. The battery area on my car is damaged and I am looking for ideas for adding straps brackets etc so it doesn't get damaged again. I would also like a good solution to keep the battery in place while driving.

I considered using 3/4 inch plywood for a solid flat bottom. I could matt and glass both sides then drill through for a strap. But eventually the wood will rot.

I appreciate any suggestions.

BL3Manx Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:03 am

If you fully repair the fiberglass, there shouldn't be any need for a piece of wood. The battery is supposed to just sit in the fiberglass well. If you go to your local auto parts store, they'll probably have a couple different style of battery hold downs you could use. They also have mats the battery sits on that if it does leak, will absorb the acid.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Battery-Mat-Parts/4294967186-10101.jcw

Jimmler Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:15 am

Question for you: how did it get damaged? Is this Manx I body on an IRS pan?

jspbtown Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:20 am

I made a platform out of 1/2 square stock, then two pieces that came up from the center of the frame to the top of the battery. Welded the tops closed and drilled and tapped for a machine screw, and then ran a piece of the same stock over the top between the terminals. I used some angle iron welded to the sides to mount it to the floor. I also used a garden tractor style battery.

john morris Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:54 am

This is a Manx 1 on a swingaxle chassis. I bought it already damaged.

I have seen battery mounts welded to IRS chassis but I have not decided whether the car will be swing or IRS. Even if I just reglass the battery box, I need a way to keep it from bouncing around.

I am looking for something that works well that doesn't look like it was cobbled together.

Jimmler Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:24 am

I was curious if maybe the body had been mounted on an IRS pan at one time and either was damaged by the suspension or cut out so the body would clear the components.

dlearl476 Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:46 am

John, I just bought an original manx and I'm kind of in the same boat. I was going to fab a more stable mount out of some aluminum honeycomb material I have. PM me if you're interested, it's just as easy to make two.

Dale M. Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 am

I would learn to fiberglass and restore battery well to original form.... I have recently cut the bottom off two buggy bodies and rebuilt them about 3 inches higher to clear IRS arms.... Its not that difficult and make a real clean installation .... If you butcher something in, it will always be there to haunt you....

Dale

aquamanx Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Dale M. wrote: I would learn to fiberglass and restore battery well to original form.... I have recently cut the bottom off two buggy bodies and rebuilt them about 3 inches higher to clear IRS arms.... Its not that difficult and make a real clean installation .... If you butcher something in, it will always be there to haunt you....

Dale
Ya got any pics?
Ill need to do the same thing on my manx it will be going on a irs chassis.

Dale M. Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:29 pm

OK.... Here is "in progress pictures"...

Pane #1 is "WAXED" (release agent) aluminum panel I use for a form to lay resin and cloth on... (notch is because someone needed a piece of aluminum for something- between first and second use).

Panes #2 and #3 are from under body showing blue masking tape build up to create form for "glass" layup..

In my case all the "forms" were from bottom side and lay up was done from top side. Once top lay had cured, tape and aluminum panel was removed and several layers of glass and resin were added to underside to strengthen battery box base...

Pane #4 is piece that was cut out of battery box bottom to make clearance for IRS trailing arm...

Sorry I don't have any pictures of completed layup, but battery box bottom looks pretty much as a stock buggy only 3 inches less depth...

Dale

aquamanx Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks Dale
When I get started on the manx I may have a few more ??? for ya.

john morris Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for the replies and the offer dlearl476.

I understand that the battery box should be repaired with fiberglass. I may even shorten the box so that it can fit on a swing or IRS pan. What I am looking for are ideas to hold the battery after the repair.

In the picture posted by Aquamanx you can see where someone has added a strap to the body at some point of its life. I would like ideas like that.

What have you glassed in, bolted in etc. to keep the battery from moving while driving? I thought of glassing in a marine battery box but I am sure there are better ways. I don't want to just bolt through the fiberglass. If I am repairing the battery box I would like to make it stronger and more functional.

Dale M. Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:43 pm

I Just used to 3/8 inch threaded rod and a battery hold down from auto parts for Auto-X build... It does not take much to keep battery in place as long as you keep thing tight.... Loose things only get looser....

For the show/cruising buggy I did this.... Its bolted down to FG base in battery box with stainless flathead machine screws...

All bolting hardware is stainless. It is pretty resistant to corrosion...

Dale

Dale M. Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:02 pm

Some good tips, ideas in this thread....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235210

Dale