TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: IRS Help
Nidan Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:35 am

Does anyone know where I could find a diagram/exploded view of the IRS set-up? I'm disassembling mine now. The spring arms seem to be seized to the large shaft (name?) that runs from side to side of the rear of the frame. It's in rough shape, so I need to see how it comes apart so I don't do anything stupid to damage it or other components. Thanks!

GS guy Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:39 am

Wolfsburg West website has nice exploded diagrams:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/rear_axle/rear_axle_bug/bug_rear_axle69on.cfm

Jeff

kustoms Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:38 am

The spring plates are under pressure. Are you sure they are seized? There should not be anything that can lock them in place as they are suspended in rubber. Look at part 26 and 27.

Glasser Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:50 am

I have seen it where the splines are all rusty and causing the spring plate to be stuck. Maybe this is what is happening. You maybe need to heat the end of the spring plate up to get it to expand helping to release the splines. Not the best thing to have to do but if you want it apart you may not have a choice.
Even doing that I'll bet the inner spline releases first. You may just have to man handle it a bit. A slide hammer might work if you can find a way to attach it to the spring plate. Just be careful of the pressure the spring plate is under.
I can't see that you will wreck anything. I mean if it is seized it is junk anyway. The only piece that is not replaceable is the inner splines as they are a part of the chassis.

Edit.. Thinking some more you better hope the inner spline lets go first cause if it doesn't you will have no way of getting the torsion tube out if it is stuck (no way to grab onto it). The spring plate makes a good pulling tool or at least something to pull on.