TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do for your Bay recently? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
timo78 Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Traced out a fault in the horn circuit. The ground wire at the base of the steering column was not so good. Repaired and drove around. Funny that many folks waved back after the Hawaiian style double short BeepBeep friendly honk. :wink:

Keith Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:26 pm

I stripped this '99 Subaru Legacy down yesterday for the wiring harness and other bits I need for my Subaru conversion. Scored the motor out of it too, it's the hybrid 2.2L SOHC ( looks like a 2.5 SOHC ). I already have the 2.5L SOHC from a 2000 Impreza RS thats going in my bus at my machinist being finished up so I can do final assembly to it.

If anyone is wondering if the 2.2L harness will work on a 2.5L engine, it will provided I use some of the 2.2L stuff on the 2.5L motor.

I got the 2.5L Impreza motor for free several months ago and immediately stripped it down and split the case for a full rebuild. This car was heading to the scrapyard, the owner let me bring it to my house on Tues so I could remove the rest of the Subaru parts I needed for my conversion. He is going to scrap it next week now that I got what I needed.

This is going in my '78 Champagne Edition Westfalia. There will be a build thread soon.

Keith Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Today I gave Adam Westy a quick bath and pushed him into my garage ( with my Subaru Forester ) so I can begin rust repair. There is surprisingly little rust thankfully. I've had this bus since May of 2000 and it use to be my daily driver. Once the rust repair is done the Subaru conversion can begin.

MonkeySee Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 am

"Adam Westy", I like that.

tootype2crazy Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:36 pm

I made a totally stainless steel muffler for my old school (it's from the 70s and has thicker metal than the modern version) empi header, which is ceramic coated. I used 309L wire and tri-mix in my mig to weld it up. It's much, much better than anything offered today from the big companies.

timo78 Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Spent a few days prepping, and painting the pop top/cargo area. I had been reluctant to do so for a long time, but presently pretty happy with the result. A nice uniform clean look, and should take much less time to clean it from now on. An inside [sunny] temperature difference from untreated fiberglass is nice, and finally got to use the replacement westfalia cargo stickers that I've had for a while too. good times!

lintbrush Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Dropped my engine to finally replace the wrong forward engine tin in my 70 Westy. I replaced the fuel filler hose, vent lines with Gates and discovered the Hoover bit was MIA. Glad to discover Airhead Parts carries a reproduction version for $15! The holes didn't line up with my oil cooler so I had to enlarge the holes, but a simple bolt-on. Also finally relocated the fuel filter out of the engine compartment and got the correct metal fuel line (German Supply kit) thru the newly acquired tin. Photos in my gallery.

richparker Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:10 pm

I picked up my bus from the shop today. Man, it's running good! The list is long:
Installed a new oil pump, cooler, t-stat, filter and made custom heat shields
Switch and light to operate the fan
Changed the engine and transaxle oil
Rebuilt the CVs, one was clicking real bad
Installed a 25 amp ciriut breaker on the hit ingintion wire
Insatall a new some light in the cab
Adjusted the valves
Checked timing
Adjusted the brakes
Rotated the tires
Adjusted the shift plate and repaired the coupler which was loose

I could have done a lot of these adjustments myself but while it was in for the cooler is have him do it all. I got to spend more time with my family and the bus is ready for The Jerome Jamboree! See ya there.

Stuartzickefoose Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7372059#7372059

volksfest 2014! :D more pics coming tomorrow...300 pics to sort through!

Funky187 Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:27 am

I decided to hook up my side tent for the first time in my drive way to see how it goes together. I left it up overnight and mother nature blessed us with over a 1/2" of rain the next morning, it was dry inside when I got home!

secretsubmariner Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:21 am

That's awesome dude^^^^

I've been driving mine regularly, making sure to work out the kinks.

Replaced the old shocks with some new KYB's, HUGE difference.

Ran a cloth over the dash and gauges, shiny!

made a 22 item list to correct wiring issues and mechanical issues.

next on the list: Getting my horn working, hazards working, door buzzer working, and getting the dome light to turn on when the door is open.

8)

ernie norley Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 pm

G'day all. started the electric window conversion on ECLECTIC. saw a thread on here using 3 series BMW motors nice easy swap over. The biggest PITA is getting the cable control out of the door. I have posted a video on youtube under the heading T2vw bus BMW electric windows
I will do a complete start to finish of the job on the next door. hope you have a look at it. Can someone explain to me how to load the video onto here thanks
ernie

airschooled Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:44 pm

ernie norley wrote: Can someone explain to me how to load the video onto here thanks

Hi Ernie,

For YouTube videos, copy the video address, and paste it between two "YouTube" blocks like this:

[youtube]www.youtube.com/YourVieo[/youtube]

Can't wait to see it,
Robbie

ernie norley Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:25 am

Good evening. asiab3. thanks for info
ernie

secretsubmariner Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:33 am

Wow ernie, that's awesome. Are there any pics of it being installed into a bus? A bus with power windows....who would have ever thought!

JimNFireman Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:37 am

In keeping with the planned project priorities (PPP), the goal is get the motor right, and be ready to cruise while you prioritize interior and other items on the list. So, we have fresh injectors, remapped ECU and Airflow Meter. Replaced all vacuum lines and fresh air hoses.

After reading the nightmares of engine compartment fires, and having some first hand experience with fire tragedy, we pulled the fuel tank, replaced all fuel lines, vent hose, filler neck. Just for some peace of mind.

And finally, we really think this was the original coil. (91,000 miles). So we replaced with a Bosch Blue.

Now we test drive and drive and drive....

secretsubmariner Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:57 am

nice!!! good work!

Thrasher22 Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:30 am

ernie norley wrote: G'day all. started the electric window conversion on ECLECTIC. saw a thread on here using 3 series BMW motors nice easy swap over. The biggest PITA is getting the cable control out of the door. I have posted a video on youtube under the heading T2vw bus BMW electric windows
I will do a complete start to finish of the job on the next door. hope you have a look at it. Can someone explain to me how to load the video onto here thanks
ernie

That's killer! What year of 3 series did you pull the motor from? It'd be great to be able to open the passenger side window without a passenger to do it :D

ernie norley Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Good morning all. I have westyracer to thank for this conversion he has the full photo explanation on this forum. he has put up a 1st class thread so suggest anyone wanting to do this drop in & have a look at it. I did the video as a back up to show it in movement what he had done. I have a second video but it wont paste here but is in the westyracer thread
ernie

force3g Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 pm

Installed VDO View Line gauges on some diamond plate...