TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do for your Bay recently? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 365, 366, 367 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
pep242 Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Install exhaust Vintage Speed.

dillon70 Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Added some mud flaps today. Made the brackets out of a SS hinges.

dillon70 Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Finished my interior paneling today :lol:

streamr Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:38 pm

dillon70 wrote: Finished my interior paneling today :lol:

Nice, did you make your own or buy pre-cut?

dillon70 Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks. Made almost all from scratch. I went through a few 4X8 sheets.

streamr Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:21 pm

dillon70 wrote: Thanks. Made almost all from scratch. I went through a few 4X8 sheets.

I'm hoping to do the same thing this summer. Once again, nice job.

Stuartzickefoose Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Started my deep clean on the 78 westy...its moldy :cry: here we go again.....

also helped xevin out again. ...:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7530028#7530028

Regal72Bay Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Installed Airkewld drop spindles and took her out for a Sunday drive.

Convoy Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:26 am

Tested out the Bus Depot Awning this weekend.

streamr Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:33 am

Nice setup, are you happy with it?

Convoy Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:38 am

Hands down one of the best creature comforts I've purchased for the bus. Well made, easy to set up, light, and stood up to the Santa Ana winds over this past weekend.

streamr Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:47 am

Good to know, thanks. Your bus looks great.

The Quaint Gypsy Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm

I installed these

and

then went to Buses by the Bridge (on a dead battery),

drove home on the same dead battery and then installed this yesterday

=])

Stuartzickefoose Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Hopefully you have better luck then i did....

See OPERATION: Stuckfoose

airschooled Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:08 pm

The current engine build has been a train wreck of poor quality parts or machine work, so I've been refreshing my engine compartment to make up for it.

My ORIGINAL battery tray has absolutely no structural rust, and I plan to keep it that way. I wire brushed the big stuff off, hit it with neutralizing acid, allow it to cure, etched, primed, and painted it. I did the bottom of it last year and the top side this week.

This was not a "restoration," or even a permanent paint job, but it will hold me over for a few years.

Before:

Halfway:

After:

As you can see by the bondo boogers left from the PO, it's easily not perfect. I'd almost call it a hack except for all the work that went into cleaning it and properly treating the rust.

The underside of the trays and compartment was stripped with mineral spirits, acid treated, and undercoated last year. Some of it was removed for this, (like in front of the underside near the six apron screws,) but it will be reapplied before the engine goes in.

Robbie

Stuartzickefoose Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Opposite side trays? ;)

airschooled Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 am

Stuartzickefoose wrote: Opposite side trays? ;)

Didn't want to take a picture of it; my phone was getting covered in overspray. But my lungs were only slightly coated… :wink: I had the mid-level respirator from Home Depot, but I think I could go for the better one from an actual paint store next time.

I'll be posting plenty of pr0n for you when it's done and hooked back up! Right now I'm trying to find all the appropriate gak for the engine compartment: grommets, BLACK wire cable sheaths, (PO decided to paint the OG wiring copper in 2008, :evil: ) stock fuse holders, early-bay-specific vent lines, and firewall screws.

Did you know the factory painted the heads of the four lower firewall sheet metals screws white so you could find them easier? Also did you know us early early bay people got four screws down there instead of two? And did you know we even got an extra weatherstrip in there to keep the fumes nicely contained? AND did you know if you take the battery out of your bus and store the bus indoors for 24 years, you won't have any battery tray rust either? 8)

I'm literally going crazy building this engine.
Robbie

Stuartzickefoose Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 am

Robbie, call ken on all that original stuff....hes got those flaps and gauges for you too....ill be out there tomorrow morning if you want me to take a look for you? Text me a list if youd like.

Tcash Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:26 am

BLACK wire cable sheaths
Try Fry's

SixStringMadMan Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:11 am

asiab3 wrote:

After:

As you can see by the bondo boogers left from the PO, it's easily not perfect.

Robbie

Boogers or not, looks great! Nicely done!!