TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alright I need shifter help from the experts
myxomycota Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:43 pm

I am putting my buggy back together and I have a skinny-stalked, wooden knob shifter that you push down and pull to the left to go reverse. The old shifter has a ball on the end with a pin facing forward that slips into a slot that is also facing forward.

I bought a bugpack shifter that has a button on the left side that apparently you push to make the thing go in reverse. Trouble is the bugpack shifter ball has no pin in the ball but the pin is high up on the shaft where it has absolutely no function that I can tell if I install this shifter on my setup. I bet I bought the wrong part.

Can someone explain to me what I have and wht I need to install a cool looking shifter on my project? I do not have a lot of experience with VWs and really don't know what I am doing. I did manange to re-install the old shifter and it works...but it still looks like crap.

Help a noob out?

Dale M. Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:31 pm

I have same shifter........... Just orient VW lock out plate with tabs up and long side to right (passenger side) ..... Bolt on Bugpack shifter and go........

Pin is unimportant with Bugpack shifter....

Dale

MMCCARTHY Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:54 pm

The pin on your original shifter was to keep it from rotating(was a bent rod), the aftermarket one you have will not do that. The pin you see on the new shifter is for reverse lockout on reverse gear. Make sure you install the little plate under the shifter in the correct direction so the lockout will work, Mike

myxomycota Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:40 am

Thanks a bunch...I was almost there. :roll: