TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Whiny water pump on 85 GW 2.2 motor.
ProvoCyclist Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 pm

So on my way home today, the water pump started howling. Not all the time, just under acceleration. Is this the death knell for the GoWesty installed pump? Not even 57k miles on the motor, but i wont get started on that. Im getting to be less than happy with my GW motor. :x

Anyway, i checked the belt, it was fine, but that what the it sounds like. The pulley has a bit of play, like 2mm max, just back and forth, but not side to side, i.e. the direction of belt tension.

I need an answer quick! :(

Dogpilot Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:00 pm

60K is about average for water pumps. I've had to replace them on many of my cars about then. I had to replace mine on my first engine at 5K. These don't have the best water pumps in the world, luckily they are not expensive, just a bitch to replace. If you get a replacement do not go cheap, or you may be doing it more frequently.

Does it just squeal or does it leak as well?

ProvoCyclist Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Its just squealing right now luckily. I guess ill park it til the new pump comes. :(

While im at it, what else should i replace in that area?

Dogpilot Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:13 pm

All the itty bitty hoses. They are difficult to remove intact and prone to leak, so replace them as well.

ProvoCyclist Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Awesome! thanks alot Dog for the fast info, i now a have a package coming my way, ill be back on the road by thursday!

squid63 Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:12 am

What exactly does a whining water pump sound like? I'm curious, because my v-gon just recently started making a strange "buzzing" sound and I'm wondering if that could be it?