TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beat Down
gibby Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:40 pm

After reading all of the build threads and looking at the pictures i have decided to buy a thing bad shape ,As I plan on doing a full rebuild.
Whats the most important parts that must be salvageable,cant be damaged or replaced. I may even Buy two to build into one car.
Thanks Gibby

63ziggy Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:06 pm

I believe everyone would agree, watch the body rust. Parts are out there but very pricey. Even used sheetmetal is pricey. Floor pans will cost you several hundred if need to replace complete pans.

The windshield frame is a area to watch for rust and decay. They are a sought after commodity.

As any project, it will nickle and dime you to death. The rubber, molding etc adds up. The roof frame and side windows just as well.

Watch for OG tranny. Mine had been replaced with beetle and mixed matched CV's. That was not discovered till after sale completed.

It will depend on what you are looking for in full body restoration, stock or "custom". That will impact other items that may or may not get replaced.

be prepared. There are some cross over beetle parts and many that are specific. As mentioned, the specific come with a higher price than a beetle restoration. I have been involved in both.

I am currently doing a 74 Thing body off. I have tried to stay away from adding up the receipts. I would become really disgruntled.

Best of luck and post pics when you get a project.

Pbotsonis Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:06 pm

Be sure to check under the battery for rust. That is a common spot for them to rust.

howiesfamily Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:48 am

Carman69 wrote: Be sure to check under the battery for rust. That is a common spot for them to rust.

That is the least of your rust worries on a Thing. The battery tray rusts on just about all VW's. My Thing has rust between the front door and the wheel well.

63ziggy Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Gotta second the last motion.

Rockers (in and out) as well as where they meet with frt qtr and rear qtrs.

If they appear solid, I would consider drilling plug holes say 3/4 or 1" along each inner rocker and foot area in wall. Then take a sprayer and load up with rust encapsulator.

They are terrible about rotting from the inside out.

Of course, nothing that some sweat equity and a couple dollars can't cure