TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wrecked Thing Update
bmwloco Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:31 am

It warmed to near 50F today. My Thing has been laid up in the garage for the past 4 or 5 months since I wrecked it.

In the mean time I've been able to find a replacement fender, front apron, and my sister, the good girl that she is, bought me a new powder coated front bumper from the Thing Shop for Christmas.

Wanting to take advantage of the sunshine and relative warmth, I turned the key and she started with no drama. Mind you, I have battery tenders on all my motorcycles and the scooter, but not the Thing. Good Thing!

After parking her in the sunshine, I let her run for a few minutes. After a bit of cough-cough she fell into an even idle.

So far, so good. I took her out for a spin around the neighborhood, shattered windshield, no bumper, missing one fender. Aside from very squishy brakes (possibly one contributing factor to the crash - alcohol the other), she ran out fine.

On a straight stretch, I let go of the steering wheel. She tracked straight.
That made me smile.

I backed her up the driveway and tucked her tail first into the garage. She's up, soon, for a visit to a master panel beater / genius restoration friend. Hopefully, before we get into the even 70F range, I'll have my Thing up and running again.

mrafindley Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Sounds good I can't wait for the warm here to since the road trip from Texas that pretty much shreaded my top so now it is permenant convertable till I finish my beetle good luck to ya

mickeything Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Glad she started right up for you.

Pierre G Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:55 am

Quote: So far, so good. I took her out for a spin around the neighborhood, shattered windshield, no bumper, missing one fender. Aside from very squishy brakes (possibly one contributing factor to the crash - alcohol the other), she ran out fine.

That reminds me a lot of these test drives or short trips with new projects or cars partly disassembled on the way to the bodyshop (with no bumpers, no glass, poor brakes and steering...). I'm glad your car will soon be back in good shape.