TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rihno tranny?
Rev. Scott Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:40 pm

what will i need to mount one? any draw backs (i have the tranny)? stock tires. thoughts?

welsh619 Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:50 pm

what you will need to mount one will depend on what tranny you already have and what kind/type of rhino you have going in... please post more info. Ive never had nor do i know anyone with any personal experience with rhino trannies but i hae seen their name around a lot and they should be better then a stock tranny. Where did you get this new tranny, is it new, more info needed.

Rev. Scott Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:26 pm

the "rihno" tranny is a "76?-'79 bus tranny. i have a '79 (used but very tight). ill be replacing the stock (growling) one. just didnt know if it was as simple as a bus to bug kit? or if there were axle or offset issues. would the gearing change on stock tires not be condusive to daily driving? flywheel /starter issues? etc...

thanx

Bruce Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:02 pm

inkwelz wrote: the "rihno" tranny is a "76?-'79 bus tranny.
No it isn't. A rhino trans is a Type 1 trans built with a Rhino case like this:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D081%2D301%2D513

The trans from a 76 to 79 Bus is called an 091, or a six rib trans.

Rev. Scott Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:44 pm

i stand corrected...thanx. the '79 bus tranny is suposed to be really solid though yea? or have i just been very confused for a long time...

...in the event that im still on the right track...any advice?

Bruce Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 am

inkwelz wrote: ... stock tires.
The Bus gearbox is geared way too low for use with stock tires. Usually the offroad guys that use Bus 'boxes are also using taller tires.

fusername Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:07 am

bus boxes are damn hardy. offroaders love em, all the aircooled bays and vanagons are very much appreciated for their drivelines as they are stronger, better geared, have better cvs, and much much stronger reverse gears. although i guess you thing guys have real nice cvs to begin with

Rev. Scott Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:59 am

Bruce wrote: inkwelz wrote: ... stock tires.
The Bus gearbox is geared way too low for use with stock tires. Usually the offroad guys that use Bus 'boxes are also using taller tires.

things dont seem to be geared all that high...the old baywindow would cruise at 70...ide be happy with that!

Ian Epperson Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 am

Isn't the 091 also about 4-6 inches longer than the type 1 tranny? If you're building a rail you don't care, but if you've got to cut up the back seat of your Thing to fit it in, you might think twice...

Bruce Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:03 am

fusername wrote: bus boxes are damn hardy. ...... and much much stronger reverse gears.
The reverse gear in a Bus 'box is exactly the same part as the one in a Bug. Neither is stronger.