TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: spring cleaning a vanagon
ottabus Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:42 am

I bought an '87 Westy last June, and parked it for the winter last November, after changing the oil, adding fuel stabilizer, and moving the battery indoors. If and when all this snow in the Great White North disappears I'll be taking the van out of storage. I am wondering if there are any recommendations, other than putting the battery in and firing the engine up, that I should do to the Westy to end it's winter hibernation.
many Thanks.
Rajiv

Dogpilot Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:55 am

There are loads of things you can do, but you've covered most. You can also pull each spark plug an do a small squirt of engine oil in each cylinder. Then, with the plugs still out, you can turn the engine by hand (helps if the tranny is in neutral), then spin it with the starter for 10 seconds. This will distribute lube around the engine in a no load situation.

Put air in the tires as well. After you run a couple of days, do a really good check for leaking cracked coolant hoses and cracked vacuum lines.

the caveman Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:09 am

I don't know why you're worrying about that now. With the amount of snow you got i don't think you'll be out till June!

Perales Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:45 am

the caveman wrote: I don't know why you're worrying about that now. With the amount of snow you got i don't think you'll be out till June!
Hey!! I'm dreaming too...

Welcome to the Samba.
Replace all your fuel lines ASAP!
Learn to use the SEARCH
Buy a Bentley

J Charlton Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Perales wrote: the caveman wrote: I don't know why you're worrying about that now. With the amount of snow you got i don't think you'll be out till June!
Hey!! I'm dreaming too...

Welcome to the Samba.
Replace all your fuel lines ASAP!
Learn to use the SEARCH
Buy a Bentley

Same here in Toronto - I've been assembling bits and pieces to do about 2 weeks of work on Moose - just can't get at it!!

ottabus Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks for the tips...i'll wait for the big thaw.

Winnibus Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:51 pm

The snow is already melting over here in Manitoba, bright and sunny too! :)