TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: AC Vanagon License Plate Flap Seal
reluctantartist Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:24 am

I am getting my westy ready for the summer...
Some of the posts talk about a license plate flap seal. Where do I get one or does anyone have suggestions on how to make one if they are NLA? I can understand this would help keep engine temperatures down and if it is as hot as last year everything helps.

Thanks

MarkWard Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:05 pm

It has a seal? Most likely you could use foam weatherstip tape from your home improvement store of choice. It comes in different widths and thickness. One side has adhesive.

Wildthings Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:06 pm

My 84 has this for some reason even though it is water cooled. All it is is some open cell foam. Any oil resistant foam should do.

reluctantartist Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:39 am

Can you get a picture? I am just curious how it is on the panel.

ValleyHappy Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:53 am

I remember (maybe) 2 months ago of someone asking where to get the part. Someone actually found it and posted the link...so it should be in the search.....I'm watercooled so I didn't save the post or link.

ValleyHappy Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:00 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279685&highlight=aircooled+seal

:wink:

Wildthings Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:02 am

Originally it is one large piece as shown in the link. There is no need for it to cover the entire surface though, it will just hold more oil and grime. I would just run the foam around the edges so that it seals when closed.

reluctantartist Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks for the link Happy Valley. I thought there should be something on it here, just didn't know the right search term to use.

camrenj Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Seeing that the engine is A/C wouldn't that help in cooling at high speed or in traffic with the more fresh air flow to the fan :?

tristessa Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:42 pm

camrenj wrote: Seeing that the engine is A/C wouldn't that help in cooling at high speed or in traffic with the more fresh air flow to the fan :?
Nope. There's a huge amount of hot "used" air (already heated by the engine) back there from the cooling system, along with additional heat from the exhaust system right below where the license plate lives. You want to get rid of that heat, not recycle it through the cooling system again. Besides, when you're tooling down the road that's a negative-pressure zone with no airflow.

The vents up in the corners give an ample supply of air, more than a stock cooling system could possibly use. And they're in a positive-pressure area, so when you're driving along air actually gets pushed through them. Those engineers at Volkswagen? They were smart guys and kinda-sorta knew what they were doing.. :lol: