TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The lost coast..... Page: 1, 2  Next
sc-surfer Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Any of you ever explored the Lost coast of California?? I'm looking at a run up there to scout it out. Any input would be great.

Anyone else want to caravan through the area. A 2nd vehicle would make access to remote areas more comfortable.

Thanks!

targis58 Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm

wow! You are a brave man! I've heard that it 's a pretty wild area there .Bears,snakes,eagles,...and bigger fish... I ve always wanted to explore that area but havn't had chance to do it. I am in the middle of subie conversion now and also 2WD. I heard you really need 4wd to get in there. Is that right? Let us know if 2WD can get in there with no problem. It might be really fun to get together with afew vans and camp up there.

syncrodoka Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:39 pm

Oh man I am knee deep in a subaru conversion as well. I have always wanted to check out the lost coast. I have been all around there just not on the lost coast trail area. BLM Quote: BEAR ALERT! There is a serious bear problem along the entire beach. Bears are coming into camp and taking food. This is a dangerous situation for people and bears alike. BEAR RESISTANT CANISTERS ARE REQUIRED as hanging food is not an effective method on the coast. "High clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles" are also recommended for the access roads. BTW the lost coast brewery in Eureka is a great place to get some beer and eats. Good Luck & bring back pictures.

allsierra123 Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:57 am

I Used to live in cambria the locals all had decals on our cars we called it the lost coast too.

aswah Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:23 am

That is one awesome area to camp... I lived in Mendocino for a while and used to drive there all the damned time. I posted this on another VDUB site:

"My favorite spot along the coast for beach camping is the Lost Coast... a 60 or 70 mile stretch of beach, cliffs and redwoods that is largely roadless. I am not sure where you are starting from but if you go up 101 North... if you like kick ass breweries you are in luck... stop at Bear Republic in Healdsburg... if you like IPAs try racer five and racer X... continue up 101 to 128 towards Mendocino... stop by Anderson Valley brewing for more tasty suds... Along the way there are many kick ass small wineries worth the visit. Many operate under biodynamic and/or organic guidelines. Favorites include: Breggo, Lazy Creek, Greenwood Ridge, Goldeneye, Londer.... Also, if organics are your thing be sure and stop by the Apple Farm... great organic little farmstand and cider mill. Route 128 continues thru a small but beautiful strand of redwoods then pops out onto highway one... Right where it meets highway one is a small beach front campground with numerous seals. You will notice it right after you get on ONE and look across the Navarro river to the left... sweet little spot. Go north thru Mendocino (if you are into the Dead and like to smoke you will be in HEAVEN here... folks are extremely kind and Bear used to make his wears in town...) to Fort Bragg... stop at Northcoast Brewery and try their Rasputian stout...if you like pizza stop by Piazzi's... great local beers on tap. If you like Reggae music and jam bands stop by the Caspar Inn... seems like some local growers like reggae and somehow manage to pull some BIG name acts into playing a little teeny club... them buds talk I guess... Continnue northwards... now when you hit where One leaves the coast (there are two great stealth spots right here as well - one right on a cliff overlooking the Pacific and the other on a small road venturing off to the right) and heads inland you need to keep your eyes peeled for dirt road called Usal Road (no signs or maybe small ass sign but it is spray painted on the road) that goes off to the left. It is roughly ten miles up one after it leaves the coast. Follow Usal road for six miles to what looks like an abandoned campground. Venture around there. Many campsites and depending on how adventurous you are you can ford a small stream in your vehicle and hit some amazing on the beach camping complete with many Elk, seals and a few wandering black bear... never saw a bear there but have seen scat. There are probably a million camp sites there and I have never paid even the very very very few times I actually saw a ranger drive by. Also, even on July 4th weekend there are rarely any people here. When you drive down the road you realize that VDUBS are about the biggest campers that can fit here. If you drive around a bit you will see another dirt road heading north out of the camping area. Many good stealth spots off this road. There is one that is perfectly flat at the top of a ridge off to the left. The road always has a sign that says road closed... ignore. usually a hand written sign says tree blocking road... ignore. This dirt road eventually leads to Kings Canyon and another spectacular part of the Lost Coast... oh, just before you head down the steep dirt road into the campgropund there is an amazing pull off along the cliff to the left. It overlooks the pacific. You'll know you are there because you will see a small pull off immediately before it that leads to another spectacular view off the dirt road of the ocean. And before the first pulloff you will feel your stomach muscles tighten because you are literally driving on the edge of a washed out road prone to landslides that has a 800 foot drove into the vast blue ocean... loads of fun when it is pouring and landslides have been occuring all over the immediate area..."

I dream of the Lost Coast... truly amazing spot... I drove all over back there with a 2 wheel drive non synchro... there are a few narrow spots with sheer drops to the ocean below... erosion. Also at sinkyone campground there is beach camping... I couldn't drive across a stream onto the beach cause I would of got stuck... I guess a synchro would have been nice!

[/img]http://fullmoonbusclub.com/e107_files/public/1206447153_1092_FT93223_elk.jpg[img]

[/img]http://fullmoonbusclub.com/e107_files/public/1206447153_1092_FT93223_elk_02.jpg[img]

[/img]http://fullmoonbusclub.com/e107_files/public/1206447153_1092_FT93223_fix_it.jpg[/img]

aswah Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 am

I guess there are some bears there... and mountain lions... I have never seen one and I camped there 100's of times... If you cook in your WESTY, a bear canister ain't gonna help. The scent of food is deeply saturated in your van. Bear canisters only help when you practice back country backpacking in bear teritory... i.e. cooking away from your campspot, changing your clothes and not sleeping with snacks around you. The bears here are hunted and fear humans. You'd be lucky to see one. I camped a lot in remote wild places in Alaska... much more bear threats there and never had problems. The last time we camped on the Lost Coast we kept hearing large animals circling our van late at night. We woke up early to our dog Loose Lucy growling really softly. A huge elk, actually three poked there heads out ten feet from the van. I made blueberry pancakes, had coffee and watched elk for two hours. Two were locking horns ten feet out the back of my van... I just laid there watching thru the screen window... sweetness. I think you have to worry more about tides if you walk down the beach than anything else.

It is not as remote as you think... certain stretches are but other go past people's houses... especially on the northern end. I never had an issue with a regular clearance two wheel drive westy going thru any section! There are a few obstacles! THere are so many super cherry spots to camp at... even with 100's of other buses... I would caution anyone travelling here during the rainy part of the year. The dust is very fine and slick and deep in rainy season. Also there are issues with erosion and landslides...

ASWAH

p.s I am heading back to Cali in October and this will be one of the first stops!

Van-go108 Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:54 am

Fixed these for ya'

I used to live betwwen Navarro and Philo about 30 minutes off 128. I dig the lost cost. You covered all my fav's.

aswah Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:00 am

I used to be hill muffin in PHILO! I miss the valley... I moved from there to Connecticut for some reason I cannot remember! time to go back!

ASWAH

p.s. thanks for fixing the links

Volksaholic Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 am

We didn't get into the back country last summer as I was traveling with my family and we were visiting the in-laws in Shelter Cove (South end of the King range), but that is a beautiful area that I'd like to get back to. 25 miles from Garberville and it took an hour to drive to Shelter Cove due to the steep, winding roads. Chugging back and forth to the beach the Vanagon only got about 10 MPG because so much of it is so steep that I was tooling along at high RPMs in 1st or 2nd gear. I want to go back and make it really clear that I expect to see some back country so anyone not interested can stay home!

Beware the surf... I was told that much of that beach area is very dangerous. I didn't know how much of this was locals trying to psych us out, but not knowing the area I figured I wouldn't take chances with the kids.

j_dirge Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:38 am

Volksaholic wrote:
Beware the surf... I was told that much of that beach area is very dangerous. I didn't know how much of this was locals trying to psych us out, but not knowing the area I figured I wouldn't take chances with the kids.
Its north coast.. colder, thicker and everything seems to take more effort.

The beach at Shelter Cove is not dangerous, and it even has a semi protected boat ramp.. or it did 15 yrs ago anyway. There's some smallish rideable surf there.

North are some more famous spots.. and there's a true "big wave" spot as well.

But as far as the danger?
ALL north coast beaches deserve respect.. there is more power, more cold to sap energy, and sneaker waves seem to abound.

Just pay attention.

Great spot... but lots of skeeters if you camp inland. Bring the netting, citronella, and some bug goop.

FNGRUVN Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 am

Thanks for the very informative post and pics. I'm on the lookout for posts like this to get some ideas on where to head in the future. Sounds like you've seen a lot of cool places through your windshield.

Van-go108 Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am

aswah wrote: I used to be hill muffin in PHILO! I miss the valley... I moved from there to Connecticut for some reason I cannot remember! time to go back!
I know what you miss. :lol:

http://www.avbc.com/news/press2008.html

Volksaholic Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:22 am

j_dirge wrote: Volksaholic wrote:
Its north coast.. colder, thicker and everything seems to take more effort.

The beach at Shelter Cove is not dangerous, and it even has a semi protected boat ramp.. or it did 15 yrs ago anyway. There's some smallish rideable surf there.

North are some more famous spots.. and there's a true "big wave" spot as well.

But as far as the danger?
ALL north coast beaches deserve respect.. there is more power, more cold to sap energy, and sneaker waves seem to abound.

Just pay attention.
I'm a desert rat, not an ocean guy, so I'm naive about coastal stuff. There is a great public beach toward the South end of Shelter Cove. That's where I saw folks surfing and recreating and I think it's the one you're referring to. The beach straight down from my in-laws place is supposedly known for the "sneaker waves" and I was told it has a steep shelf a little ways out that sucks you under. It has a trailhead going from Shelter Cove into the King Range coastline. It sure was a great place to take pictures and watch the sun set!

I'll defer to you as to how dangerous it really is... obviously all water and most worthwhile activities pose some degree of risk.

aswah Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:19 am

If you walk the entire length of the Lost Coast there are portions of the beach/trail that are under water according to the tide tables.... pay attention when you start walking... two friends, one pictures with the red wood stump, got caught in a high tide and had to scramble up a steep and dangerous grade to avoid water. There are also sections that have strong under currents... those areas are usually marked with signage... Close to shelter cove is a nice campground... but if you go past the entrance it will eventually lead to sinkyone campground (if you head south) and the King's Range road, a dirt road a few miles before Shelter Cove towards G ville... has nice camping options for the stealth campers out there... also, if you are in the area drive down the avenue of the giants... Burlington Campground is not bad for a pay per view kinda spot. I love the REDWOODS.... also further north, just past Orick are some fantastic stealth and pay per view spots to camp... peace.

ASWAH

airkooledchris Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:32 am

I live in Eureka, just north of that area, and its an amazing place to check out.
you would literally never run out of places to go and things to see.

just head north and wing it once you get here.

on the way to shelter cove is some awesome BLM campsites up top of Horse Mountain, right at the peak before you make your decent down to shelter cove, hardly anyone around and you can make do with 2wd no problem, just don't be stupid.

amishman Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:00 am

syncrodoka wrote: Oh man I am knee deep in a subaru conversion as well. I have always wanted to check out the lost coast. I have been all around there just not on the lost coast trail area. BLM Quote: BEAR ALERT! There is a serious bear problem along the entire beach. Bears are coming into camp and taking food. This is a dangerous situation for people and bears alike. BEAR RESISTANT CANISTERS ARE REQUIRED as hanging food is not an effective method on the coast. "High clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles" are also recommended for the access roads. BTW the lost coast brewery in Eureka is a great place to get some beer and eats. Good Luck & bring back pictures.

I live up in the foothills of California and every year, the same bear comes back and opens all 6 of my trash cans and has it it. Should be coming any day now. He comes in Spring when he wakes up and then during the summer and fall he comes back again to fatten up. I live in the sticks where everyone has 10 to 20 acres and I go to the dumps every month and a half or so and it seems he likes to come right before I go so he has 6 trash cans to open and enjoy! I could put them inside a fence or garage but they get into and destroy windows and the like to get to food so I would rather leave them out where the only damage is beaten trash cans. He also likes to break and knock down from trees my wifes bird feeders and bend metal posts to get to feeders foods. Break my fence one year. Scratch and claw on trees. One year I went outside to move my hose on the grass and see this black blob out the corner of my eye and low and behold, BEARY the Bear is about 10 feet from me. My 1st encounter. Scared the shit out of me. I walked calmly as I could into the house and then back outside with my friggin camera to take some video and pictures. I have included a couple pics below. My video was a bit shaky as I was scared shitless but I was holding the doorknob to my front door to get back inside if he got pissed off. When he went to knock down another wifes birdfeeder from the tree I yelled at him and he took off. Few weeks later I find him in the AM going through trash cans so I went outside and banged some pots and pans and yelled but this time he looked at me, pissed off and hungry, and huffed like a dinosaur, that he did not want to budge. So, I decided to let him enjoy before he come after me. hehehe No dealing with a pissed off bear. Normally, just leave them be and they leave you be. Just be prepared in case they decide to cause you danger. Normally they are afraid of you so just let them be with nature.

Here are a few pics of our Beary.

http://gallery.mac.com/macsociety/100016/bear3/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/macsociety/100016/bear2/web.jpg

Enjoy those bears in the Lost Coast if you go.

tj

Van-go108 Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:45 am

amishman wrote:

tj

Yeah... You do have to watch out fer those guys.

Van-go108 Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am

I had to post up some beach pics. I'm sad now. :cry:

It seemed like it was always foggy on the coast though.

sc-surfer Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:28 am

WOW!! Thanks all for the input...

Your excitement about the area is right in line with how great I'm guessing it is. I am indeed a beer drinker... Came of age in the northwest, smack dab in the middle of the microbrew revolution. (guess that dates me a little but...) I look forward to sampling some of the wares on the trip north. The gf will appreciate the wine tasting as well.

Bears don't worry me... I have camped with them all my life. The usual common sense seems to keep me out of trouble.

I figure that if there is anywhere I can't get to in my syncro, I should most likely not be driving there anyway...

I'm just stoked to hear that there are still places like this here in the Republic of Kalifornia, and that there are still those who enjoy them!!

Can't wait to head up. Probably in 3-4 weeks. I'll let y'all know how it is!

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll be bringing this thread along with me!!

levi Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Van-go108 wrote: amishman wrote:

tj

Yeah... You do have to watch out fer those guys.

Nah, when they have their head down like that, it means they want you to come over and rub their belly.