TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any opinions on bosch oil filter?
dsa Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:05 pm

I want to do an oil change but can't wait for the Mann/Mahle(?) filter from Bus Depot. Would the Bosch brand and some 20/50 castrol oil be ok? I'm still learning all the quirky things these Vans like so it might be a silly question. It's making a rattling noise that doesn't quite sound right. Kind of a ticking, rattle noise. Maybe throw in some Marvel Mystery Oil. I've read some great info on these forums. Thanks.

90Doka_Guy Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:34 pm

Used one in my last oil change cause it was a freebie. Used some 20/50 with it too with no problems at all. No buzzer or nothing.

Broseph Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Generally speaking, whatever filter you use should have a bypass valve. I have a Bosch on there right now, which the local VW dealer sold me while I was there picking up some other stuff, but I usually use Wix filters on the van and the GTI. Depends on which parts store I go to and which brand they carry. Wix products are excellent. They weigh about 2x as much as a Fram sham.

The real deal though, the one I'm about to set up, is an Amsoil bypass system with dual filters, one normal full flow filter, and one bypass filter, which keeps yo oil supah clean for a long time. I discovered it while Google'ing after reading Tencent's post about the Trasko filter he uses. Bypass systems have been around forever and are used mostly by truckers and truck fleets on their big diesels, but they can save our little engines, and our little environment, from the old wear and tear big time. Once I get it in my oil changes will be annual or longer as opposed to every 5000 or 7500. Over 150,000 miles with the bypass set up, I will change the oil 10 times or less, as compared to 20-30 at the common intervals. When I change it will depend upon the results of the used oil analysis Amsoil will do for me.

I'm going with the BMK-13 system....www.amsoil.com.

The Bosch is cool for ya though.

Salud,
Broseph

bucko Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:50 am

Perform a search. Our local guru, TENCENTLIFE posted a good link to oil filters and their rated quality. It was about a month ago.