TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where did the coolant go?
FF-Z Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Ok, Here is one someone might be able to help me out with. I added some coolant to my 88 Carat the other day since...well there was non in the reservoir. I checked it again this afternoon and it was empty again. Filled it up again and now it is almost empty yet again? Could it have been that empty that it is just working its way through? Also I have noticed over the past month or so that my Temp gauge seems to have a life of its own, One second its working, then its not? Any ideas?

bucko Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:57 am

Your not seeing a leak anywhere? It's not likely that the system has any air in it and is "burping" itself (cooling system"). Did you (or did you have it done) recently have the coolant system worked on or flushed?

What is the temp gauge doing? If it is showing hot then normal temps, it may be correct, based upon your loosing coolant.

Remove one spark plug at a time. Does any one (or more) show an unusually clean condition? You may have a cylinder "O" ring thats bad, and the coolant is entering a cylinder and getting burned. This is usually noticed my whitish smoke at the tailpipe.

Either do a coolant presure test yourself, or take it to a shop and have it done. That will indicate where your leak is, if iit's not obvious.

levi Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:35 pm

Could be the water pump going out, could be a leak at any of the 50 feet of coolant lines, too many possibilities. Get a pressure test done on the system, no more than 15 psi, and find out.
The temp gauge working/not working may be the probes making/losing contact in the high pressure tank.

Wildthings Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Do you know how to fully bleed your cooling system? Open the bleeder on the radiator a crack and then run the engine at a high idle while pouring coolant into the pressure tank. Cap the tank while keeping the revs up as otherwise it will burp the coolant back out. Now qickly close your bleeder, your system should now be full with little air inside.

After doing this rev the engine a little again and look for a stream of bubbles entering the pressure tank from one of the hose. I hope you don't see bubbles as this is a bad sign.

TheBlueTurtle Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:30 pm

wish i had a picture.. but ill try explaining it.

i have the same problem.. i think

Bella. over in San Fernando explained to me that this was a common problem .

its generally a small tube. that connects the coolant hose to the engine?.. i think.. its about 3 inches in diameter. and clear/yellow.

over years the connector heats up and cracks.. and leaks from there. An easy fix is for bella to re fabricate the connection with better materials. he quoted me 100 bucks for the fix. He is doing as we speak actually.

not sure if thats your problem?

FF-Z Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:41 am

Thanks for all the advise. I will try to check it out this weekend depending on the weather, As I have no garage.