TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Folding Shifter Page: 1, 2  Next
snotchback Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Is this folding shifter an original?
but the design is rather large for any real function,
does any one have any pictures of it in any catalogs?

:arrow: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=588588

It's sold by the way, but it was not me.
:arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140219188415

Kais Collection Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:47 am

I've never seen this type before. I personally don't really like it, it's too chunky and looks like a telescope imo.. :roll:

Thornton Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:27 am

thats ugly

IN2VWS Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Caveat Emptor

a-train Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:42 pm

So does anyone have any info on this?

in2vws, why caveat emptor? is this a reproduction or something, or just ugly?

Thanks,
Alan

snotchback Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:16 pm

a-train wrote: So does anyone have any info on this?

in2vws, why caveat emptor? is this a reproduction or something, or just ugly?

Thanks,
Alan

:shock: Latin for "Let the buyer beware." The idea that buyers take responsibility
for the condition of the items they purchase and should examine them before purchase.

a-train Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 pm

I had to look that up too. I was just wondering why he/she said that.

I have never seen this shifter before that ad. Curious how rare it is or if anyone is familiar with it. Did it go with a volmac camping setup or similar?

Thanks for the link to this thread.
-A

snotchback Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:41 am

a-train wrote: I had to look that up too. I was just wondering why he/she said that.

I have never seen this shifter before that ad. Curious how rare it is or if anyone is familiar with it. Did it go with a volmac camping setup or similar?

Thanks for the link to this thread.
-A

As for why say that "Know what your buying"
I have never seen that type of folding shifter either as for being rare?

:arrow: Here's Thornton's NOS Volmac folding shifter:

:arrow: Here's a seller said that this was a Volmac folding shifter too but I don't know for sure:

:arrow: Here's some Volmac Beetle curtains from the gallery:
:arrow: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=427458

:arrow: Here's a Volmac manual from the archives:

:arrow: Here's Hazetguy's pic. of some catalog:

:arrow: Here's a pic of one from EBAY a while back:

:arrow: Here's a Repop of one from the gallery:

:arrow: Here's someone making one from a stock shiter, also I'm not picking on anyone just showing what's out there:

:arrow: This one the seller said it was a repop of an original one?

:arrow: Here's looks to be a Type 2 shifter but I don't know anything about it:

:arrow: Here's more from gallery:

:arrow: And here are my folding shifter's all original's 8) sorry I had to show off,
the picture's above^^^^^are to show and not to offend the owners of them.

a-train Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:23 pm

so how's pricing on these things. I have a full set of the volmac seat recliners, and would like to get a folding shifter to go with. Would they all fit in a '57, or are there certain ones.

Thanks a ton for the information and pictures. Nice to have it all in one place.

And have you ever seen the curtains for sale? do they repop those?

oh, and nice collection. :shock:

Thanks,

-A

IN2VWS Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:35 pm

snotchback wrote:

:arrow: And here are my folding shifter's all original's 8) sorry I had to show off,
the picture's above^^^^^are to show and not to offend the owners of them.

Good info, and nice collection. :wink:

Speedsterboy Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Second shifter to the right is the rarest fold-down of all, the Dehne.

malachai Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 am

snotchback wrote:
:arrow: Here's a Volmac manual from the archives:

:arrow: Here's Hazetguy's pic. of some catalog:

are volmac austrailian? seems a bit weird that the car is rhd but the price is in dollars? Those 2 are in for a cosy night, I hope they put the roof up.

I can't see why you would need a folding gearstick in a bus, any ideas? even if you get the gearstick out of the way you still have a big steering wheel hanging about, if you want to get amorous just go in the back.

IN2VWS Tue May 06, 2008 2:03 pm

The car pictured was a LHD, note the speedo on the wrong side.

BeaterBarndoor Tue May 06, 2008 7:07 pm

malachai wrote: I can't see why you would need a folding gearstick in a bus, any ideas? even if you get the gearstick out of the way you still have a big steering wheel hanging about, if you want to get amorous just go in the back.

as i have one from a bus, i often wondered this as well and the only real reason i could figure was the fact that back in those days lots of people would work out of their buses...locksmiths, mobile repairs, deliveries...and i can tell it would be a pain in the butt for the driver to have to climb over the shifter each time to go in back via the walk through . and from experience, the folding shifter is great for working on wiring under the dash. pop it out of the way so its not jabbing you in the neck while contorting to see what youre doing under the dash.

hazetguy Tue May 06, 2008 10:30 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221162

the catalog page i posted is from a dealership accessories catalog from the late 50's.

malachai Thu May 08, 2008 6:22 am

IN2VWS wrote: The car pictured was a LHD, note the speedo on the wrong side.

so it is, that's a bit odd as well, maybe they just wanted to see that short bloke bang his head on a steering wheel and he insisted he needed to be on the right

malachai Thu May 08, 2008 6:24 am

BeaterBarndoor wrote: malachai wrote: I can't see why you would need a folding gearstick in a bus, any ideas? even if you get the gearstick out of the way you still have a big steering wheel hanging about, if you want to get amorous just go in the back.

as i have one from a bus, i often wondered this as well and the only real reason i could figure was the fact that back in those days lots of people would work out of their buses...locksmiths, mobile repairs, deliveries...and i can tell it would be a pain in the butt for the driver to have to climb over the shifter each time to go in back via the walk through . and from experience, the folding shifter is great for working on wiring under the dash. pop it out of the way so its not jabbing you in the neck while contorting to see what youre doing under the dash.

I've never had a walkthrough, but I have been jabbed in the neck with a gearstick, yeah I spose it would be nice to be able to move it, there would still be a handbrake there though.

KaliKabrio Sat May 10, 2008 6:31 pm

I bought that one that was on ebay that you have pictured.I didnt know it was a repop The seller stated it was orginal there was alot bidders bidding on the shifter so I assumed it was real.I paid alot of money for it.I guess you live and learn!!!!!!!!

IN2VWS Sat May 10, 2008 7:39 pm

Every country has a "Romano"..........

snotchback Sun May 11, 2008 10:48 am

KaliKabrio wrote: I bought that one that was on ebay that you have pictured.I didnt know it was a repop The seller stated it was orginal there was alot bidders bidding on the shifter so I assumed it was real.I paid alot of money for it.I guess you live and learn!!!!!!!!

Can you take pictures with out the base of the folding part.
I just want to see how it looks, also how does the shaft mount to the lower shifter.
thanks