TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Check these VW Camper Vans out
enlitnme28 Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 am

http://www.vwcampersales.com/

Im sure there is probably a thread for these already, but ive come to learn that the search engine has a mind of its own on here.....

So look and enjoy!

1621 Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:37 am

That site just makes me upset that VW hasn't brought the T5 to the States. Instead we get the toreg or toran mini-van made by Chrysler. Ugghh! :x

Williamtaylor33 Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:00 am

A stock TDI westy.........The stuff dreams are made of :!:

enlitnme28 Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:16 am

I couldnt agree more to both of the posts above...... They are quite sweet looking arent they?

Why ohhh why dont these auto makers import these things.....

The rest of the world seems to get the cool stuff and we are left with the not so cool...

Land Rover is notorious for this with there Defenders....... Imported the Defender 110 in 1993 only and the Defender 90 from 94 to 97.. I know some of these vehicles dont meet US Spec on safety but come on now, we can make a cell phone that is stronger than a computer but cant seem to figure out how to make a vehicle meet US Spec..

I dunno Im just ranting now....

climberjohn Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:31 am

Check out the mileage!!!
a cut and paste from the site:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Engine and Performance
The Volkswagen T5 BedEngine choices ...

* 2.5 litre five cylinder diesel engine with power output 130PS. Will do 0-62 in 16.3 seconds, top speed 103 mph. Fuel consumption is 25.2mpg Urban, 33.2mpg Combined and 40.4 mpg Extra Urban.
* 2.5 litre five cylinder diesel engine with power output 174PS. Will do 0-62 in 13 seconds, top speed 115 mph. Fuel consumption is lower in all categories than 130PS version.
* The 4MOTION (4x4) comes only with the 174PS engine and does not come with TCS (Traction Control System). Instead it has EDL (Electronic Differential Lock). 0-62 in 13.3 seconds and top speed 112 mph.
* An automatic six-speed Triptonic gearbox is available, however it is not available on the 4MOTION California.

climberjohn Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:46 am

One more thought - the actual purchase price of about 35,000 British pounds is about $70K US dollars! I can think of a LOT of other cars one could buy for that kind of dough.

Waldemar Sikorski Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:57 am

Quote: Imported the Defender 110 in 1993 only and the Defender 90 from 94 to 97.. I know some of these vehicles dont meet US Spec on safety but come on now, we can make a cell phone that is stronger than a computer but cant seem to figure out how to make a vehicle meet US Spec..

That one is easy - Land Rover didn't want to install an airbag on the passenger side.

?Waldo? Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:53 pm

It's certainly not the fault of the auto manufacturers that the U.S. makes the hoops to be jumped through irritating enough that many don't feel it's worth their time. While I'd certainly enjoy a stock TDi syncro westy, I certainly have plenty of things to focus on that give me far more pleasure than my lack thereof. :D

Andrew

enlitnme28 Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Waldemar Sikorski wrote: Quote: Imported the Defender 110 in 1993 only and the Defender 90 from 94 to 97.. I know some of these vehicles dont meet US Spec on safety but come on now, we can make a cell phone that is stronger than a computer but cant seem to figure out how to make a vehicle meet US Spec..

That one is easy - Land Rover didn't want to install an airbag on the passenger side.

True... exactly why I said they dont meet US Spec on safety.. .Anywho I have one and Love it.... But would love to see em here in the US

sc-surfer Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:00 pm

They even call it the 'California'. Not fair. We should have them on name alone!