TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: dont know crap
notchden Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:55 am

I dont know anything about things. what year they started or what years to look for or how to tell at a glance. I found a guy that loves bugs, HATES t3's and has about 20 to 27 cars on his property. mostly bugs but he has a fastback (complete junk) and 4 or 5 things sitting around. They look to be in ok shape and mosley complete . Are they worth asking about and what would be good offers for them. :?

colorider181 Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:38 am

Is this in Greeley? I live in Ft. Collins and could help you check them out if they are in the area...A good running (complete and titled) thing is worth 3-4 grand....thats assuming it has the usual but not excessive rusting and wear and tear of a 35 year old car. Things were imported to the US in 73 and 74, the major difference between the two are a different heating system (73 gas heater in the front, 74 exhaust heating) and the large "ear muffs" on the 74 versus the grates on the 73. I'm relatively new to things as well, so maybe others can help with details/point out where I'm wrong.

notchden Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:07 am

Unfortunately they are not in co. I travel for a living and found these out in the sticks in tx. I dont think he knows about samba. He told me he has a 62or 3 type3 in witch I got a little wood. I look at it and its a 69 fasty. If you like bugs he's got TONS of shit but it all seems to be later years. he has a prety good size shop on his property and does some real good resto's. I'll try to get back over there and take some pick to help out :wink:

ztnoo Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:31 am

If you want to know more about Things, check out the forum sticky "Thing/181 Web Resources"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122977

The first link is especially good.
http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/

howiesfamily Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:40 am

What part of Texas? I know of a guy that has a huge shop with lots of cars (acres of them). He's mostly into Mercedes, but has quite a few VW's ranging from mid-50's buses to 412's. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to sell anything except the Mercedes.