TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 85 Westy Coolant leak, engine
unibagel Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi all,

My westy is dripping can't tell from where but it congregates on either side of the finned parts of the bottom of the engine. Is there any typical things to look for? I can't see too much because of the sheet metal surrounding the engine.

Thanks!
Chris

candyman Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:12 pm

head gaskets :cry:

erblack Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:17 pm

Sure sounds like head gaskets, but check all your coolant lines first. You might get real lucky. Just had my heads done, trans., axle and engine seals done along with full tune-up and new rear heater core. Couldn't spot the leaks, but when the mechanic had the heads off, he showed me the gaskets (no sealant by previous shopjavascript:emoticon(':evil:')) and they were split almost in 2. Found great mechanic here in the northeast corner of CT. Don't know if it's legal on Samba, so I apologize first, but I'll pass the info on. The Mechanical Advantage, Barkhamsted, CT 860 738-1480. VW trained, reasonable, and does way more than you ask for. Our 84 Westy purrs like a kitten (growls nice when required) and doesn't bleed all over my new asphalt driveway!!! Good Luck!

hiram6 Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:19 pm

Yeah, I've got a VERY mild case of this as well. Not sure how much you are dripping. I'm getting a few drops falling from each side after I pull into the driveway. When I put a cardboard drop mat under there to see how much I'm losing, I get a nickel sized spot on each side.

So what's the prognosis for this amount of leakage? Should I immediately stop driving it because of impending head gasket failure? Can I drive it like this for months? Years? Any way of knowing?

In my case it's a 1.9L with about 90k on it.

erblack Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:35 pm

From my limited experience, you can go for sometime with a leak of that size. Mine was laying down a wallet size mess on one side and a credit card sized drool on the other, but also was dripping onto the manifold, which vaporized a good deal of the coolant before it hit the ground. Was using a half quart every 200 miles. Needless to say, the heads had to be done immediately.

larrytrk Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:32 am

At the risk of getting flamed, I used the Subaru conditioner and the seeping is gone. Radiator and heater are fine, so far. Leak may have been precipitated by the cold, which is normal, before failure.
We will see if my $1.50 fix will cost tons later.