TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Back to stock
Ian Epperson Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:02 am

So, I had a long discussion last night (over beer, of course) with a buddy who totally sold me on a fully stock restoration. These performance upgrades have strained my bank account and my patience - it's time to go back to a fully stock Thing.

I plan to sell the engine, tranny, and all the trimmings to pay for it. Anyone looking to buy a Jake Raby T4 motor, T4 exhaust system for a Thing and matching gearbox on the cheap? Using those proceeds, I'll start looking for a 1600 DP and stock exhaust.

I've got to swap out the disk brake kit too. The drums are so much better anyway - less maintenance, less hassle.

The paint's going to be pretty expensive, but those tiger stripes have got to go. I'll have to dig up the old paint code for the original semi-gloss orange and start shopping around for a reputable shop.

I'll put stuff up in the classifieds as I pull it off the car, unless someone here wants a stab at it. Let me know.

surfarii Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 am

Aloha Ian, Happy April Fools Day to you too!

Surfarii

Jake Raby Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:06 am

I hope this is a joke.

MercurialThing Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:16 am

Jake Raby wrote: I hope this is a joke.

And an excellent one at that! Unless he's still under the influence of the beer...

Dibs on the disc brakes!

Merc

crofty Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:23 am

Joke or not it sounded good to me. :wink:

ztnoo Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Well.........being April Fools Day........I guess there's a 50% you are serious.
:shock:
But after all the work you've been through to get your Thing roadworthy again and then adding all the goodies you have on the vehicle, I find it difficult to imagine you're willing to toss in the towel after a couple of beers.
Maybe an accurate accounting of the evening's intake would indicate whether it was well thought out, or brew induced tangent.
:P
:lol:

Chris181 Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm Ok for barter exchange with mine ... 8-[ :lol:

Van-go108 Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:35 pm

What about the broken parts your dealin' with?

Can I buy those? :-k

ztnoo Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Hey..........here's a new type of Samba buyer.......a broken parts buyer......maybe soon to be a broken parts vendor!

:)

Ian Epperson Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:03 am

No, the beer wasn't THAT good. :D

Happy April 2! Yeah, I'm hanging on to it - broken and otherwise :lol:

She's at the body shop just now getting the stripes repainted on the newly repaired left-front fender. $1140 is a bit steep, but it's being done right by a good shop - NO BONDO! I should get her back on Thursday, then tear into it to swap out the tranny for driving on Friday night (if it all goes miraculously well) or Saturday 300 miles to the Bug-In show.

kubelmann Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Dang!! And I currently have a complete running 73 Thing drive line AM motor ASV trans and all I was gunna swap straight across... It even has the correct tin ( a $$ bonus compared to a DTM shroud) Ha