TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Aftermarket Radiator Fan
hatchb4ck Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:04 am

I have been reading quite a bit on the cooling systems in these forums as I have been working on bringing my 89 Carat "up to snuff". While working through some issues, I discovered that the radiator fan on my Vanagon is seized. The vanagon has factory A/C so I have found that their are differences between the non A/C and A/C equiped fans.

So, as you can suspect, I checked the most popular vendors for this part.

BusDepot: (Doesn't list an item for Vanagons with factory A/C)

Van-Cafe: Part#: 251.959.455M - $445.00

GoWesty: Part #251-959-455M - $299.95

So, it looks like the price range is 300-450 for a fan/motor.

After looking at the installation of the OEM fan, it occured to me that perhaps an aftermarket (flex-a-lite, etc.) might work in this location as well. Given that our vehicles are getting older these parts will become less available and an aftermarket solution might be a good idea.

I believe the bracketry for these aftermarket fans is adjustable and would fit in the location. I guess what I am curious about is if someone else has tried this?

From research, the existing fan is a 450W fan/motor combo. Does anyone know the CFM of this fan? That would be one of the biggest concerns for finding an aftermarket unit.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Hatchb4ck

need2boat Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:47 am

Why not look at getting a used fan motor. They aren't hard to replace and don't tend to go bad that often.

I've got one from an 1990 with AC. If interested email me:

Joefederici(at)earthlink.net

JFF

hatchb4ck Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I sent you an email.

After seeing the prices on new fan motors, going the used route was definitely something I am looking at along with the possibility of finding an electrical shop locally to rebuild my current one. I was just curious as to whether or not the fans were that reliable to replace with a used unit of the same vintage.

Now, on to the fuel lines.

Hatchb4ck.