TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: OG Thing Part demand
Bashr52 Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 am

I've got an opportunity to pick up 2 more things semi-locally that potentially are in better shape than what I have now. I'm thinking about grabbing them, and combining the best of them into one car, and parting out/selling off the rest. They are all complete 73's and have the gas heaters with them. If I decide to go this route, whats the market like for OG thing parts? Just looking to make enough money back to cover my investment in them.

Spezialist Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:00 am

wiper parts, back seat springs, harness,

rhedrick Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 am

If they have the correct 73 fan shroud they can fetch good prices. All OG parts are good to have and are wanted. Now how much you get for them.........depends on what someone will pay.

spaeth Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:47 am

I have bought and sold lots of parts at VW swap meets over the years. The more specialized the part the more money you can sell for, but it also means that there are less buyers to sell to. The internet makes this a little easier to connect with these people but then you have shipping to deal with.

I was always excited to find the pre 58 blade bus bumpers or the ambulance fans out of a split window bus, but to tell the truth I always made more money parting out super beatles.

I guess the short answer is you will probably do fine in the long run, it just might take some time to find your buyers.

hope this helps,
Craig

Bashr52 Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Well apparently one of them comes with a hardtop, whats the deal with those?

Woreign Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:04 pm

I recently sold a hard top for $500. It was an original VWOA top, which are the ones in greatest demand. The other type was made by Fiberjet and is less desirable. Of course, location drives the price as well. Not much of a market in the sunny south-west, by northerners will want them. I'm in North Carolina and sold my top to a guy in Virginia.