TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My Syncro's side and butt on local news today <grin>
amishman Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:14 pm

I participated in the Niello VW Ranch Run VW Caravan and Show today and drove my red Syncro Westy to the show with my wife as co-pilot. The local channel 31 news was there taking video and interviews. As I drove in to line up with the other VWs, the video catches my Syncro as I drove in. Now I can say my Syncro's hind side has been seen on TV. :lol:

Such a cool show. Not sure if other Vanagon owners here participate in shows and the like but I sure like taking the Syncro to them and enjoying the day, meeting others, etc...

Here is a link to our little claim to fame. Instead of our 15 minutes, we get to celebrate 3 seconds. hehehe

tj

http://cbs13.com/video/[email protected]

FNGRUVN Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 am

Congrats on your van's cameo. I just checked out your website for the first time. Pretty cool. More pics would be nice though. Sounds like things have improved for you since the time you sold your Willys. That's awesome.

amishman Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:58 am

FNGRUVN wrote: Congrats on your van's cameo. I just checked out your website for the first time. Pretty cool. More pics would be nice though. Sounds like things have improved for you since the time you sold your Willys. That's awesome.

Thanks for the words.

I am very slow in updates at the site. I need to do some updating for sure. Just a silly little site I did a couple years back.

I have to go tell my Syncro now that its fame is over now since it is Monday after the show and all. Either way, we have the memories of it all. :)

tj

Van-go108 Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 am

Is the owner of that pimped white one in the Samba Collective. Your van distracted that camera man. Pretty funny....I think he wanted to check your ride out. "Here, hold the camera. I'll be back"

amishman Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:23 am

Van-go108 wrote: Is the owner of that pimped white one in the Samba Collective. Your van distracted that camera man. Pretty funny....I think he wanted to check your ride out. "Here, hold the camera. I'll be back"

Not sure. I did meet the guy as he was parked right next to my Syncro. We spoke for a few minutes. He was a surfer and he purchased it with that cool full length rack on the top. He said he carried long boards on it, 8 at a time. I forgot his name. Was a long day yesterday and I am terrible with names. He was a cool dude.

I was quite surprised that I had that little cameo. When Michelle Kane said they keep driving in and she seemed excited to see mine roll through and the camera guy did snag mine for those few seconds. hehehe. The fire truck was cool and we were parked right behind them. In the caravan I was right behind him but he had a stock 36 and his max speed was 50 or less. I was happy to go slow as that was the speed the caravan was supposed to be but the fire truck was left in the dust and the caravan broke up at that point. He pulled over and flagged me and the rest to go around so I hauled ass to get to the rear of the pack up front. They were probably a mile+ ahead. I had to go 75 to catch them. Luckily it was flat land as Syncros don't like hills with stock 2.1WBX. Was one long ass caravan, like 280 cars I hear. Was awesome!

So, anyone local should do this show next year.

tj

Westfalien Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:30 am

Hey amishman, I was the other red westy vanagon on your way out, I am also in GV, maybe we will get together at some point. Your ride is sweet :D

amishman Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 am

rich burgess wrote: Hey amishman, I was the other red westy vanagon on your way out, I am also in GV, maybe we will get together at some point. Your ride is sweet :D

Yeh, I wove to you as I was leaving.

Was it too packed for you to get inside and you had to park out in the general parking? Would have been cool to have our two side by side. Two slick Titian Red home on wheels! :)

Yes, for sure, if you are into VWs, we need to meet. My wife works up in town and we live down on the backside of Alta Sierra. We could meetup at like Big A's or something for a burger or something (although there prices are super high now). Would be a cool location to get a couple handful of VWs and all park at the order area where you can order from outside call box deals. I have been hoping to find some fellow VW folks up here and posted a few times here on The Samba saying "any Grass Valley or nearby folks into VWs". Just never get any response. I know there are VWs up here so... Maybe get a small foothill contingent of VWs going to shows, etc...

Take it easy.

tj

amishman Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:48 am

Caught this little YouTube video on the Ranch Run and the guy taking the video, about 1 minute 19 seconds in or so comes up to mine. I must of been away at the time. Sounds like he says "still the baddest!" hehehe

Or maybe he was saying, "still the fattest". :lol: I guess I have been already eating too many pies since it is Spring and all. Or he knows the weight of a Syncro coming in at around 5K pounds and yes indeed, probably the fattest VW at the show. :twisted:

tj

amishman Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:52 am

Van-go108 wrote: Is the owner of that pimped white one in the Samba Collective. Your van distracted that camera man. Pretty funny....I think he wanted to check your ride out. "Here, hold the camera. I'll be back"

There was another Syncro there also. A pickup but I never met the family. I walked over where I saw them parked earlier in the day to meet them and they were gone. :(

I guess they had to split early.

So, if you are here on the Samba and was that Syncro, nice ride.

tj

Westfalien Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:13 am

amishman wrote: rich burgess wrote: Hey amishman, I was the other red westy vanagon on your way out, I am also in GV, maybe we will get together at some point. Your ride is sweet :D

Was it too packed for you to get inside and you had to park out in the general parking? Would have been cool to have our two side by side. Two slick Titian Red home on wheels! :)

Yes, for sure, if you are into VWs, we need to meet. My wife works up in town and we live down on the backside of Alta Sierra. We could meetup at like Big A's or something for a burger or something (although there prices are super high now). Would be a cool location to get a couple handful of VWs and all park at the order area where you can order from outside call box deals. I have been hoping to find some fellow VW folks up here and posted a few times here on The Samba saying "any Grass Valley or nearby folks into VWs". Just never get any response. I know there are VWs up here so... Maybe get a small foothill contingent of VWs going to shows, etc...

Take it easy.

tj I got there to late and also had my dogs with me, so in order to keep them behaving, had to park out there.

A meet up would be great, I have a couple of friends in the area with some aircooled buses, and i also have a 73 westy, we are thinking of getting a Vw campout going around here, and are up for suggestions of a place Maybe the fairgrounds, it would be fun to get a bunch of busses together, we will also be rolling down to the NOR CAL bus fest, so if you are going there maybe we could do that together. As far as getting together for a burger or something that would be fun also, I just hope they have veggy fair as my lady and one of my VW buddies are veggy, but we could work that out. take care and lets get together i am off of 174. :) :) :)

amishman Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:32 am

rich burgess wrote: amishman wrote: rich burgess wrote: Hey amishman, I was the other red westy vanagon on your way out, I am also in GV, maybe we will get together at some point. Your ride is sweet :D

Take it easy.

tj I got there to late and also had my dogs with me, so in order to keep them behaving, had to park out there.

A meet up would be great, I have a couple of friends in the area with some aircooled buses, and i also have a 73 westy, we are thinking of getting a Vw campout going around here, and are up for suggestions of a place Maybe the fairgrounds, it would be fun to get a bunch of busses together, we will also be rolling down to the NOR CAL bus fest, so if you are going there maybe we could do that together. As far as getting together for a burger or something that would be fun also, I just hope they have veggy fair as my lady and one of my VW buddies are veggy, but we could work that out. take care and lets get together i am off of 174. :) :) :)

Cool, I will send you a PM here and we can go from there.

tj