TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Copper engine to radiator coolant pipes?
ultra_runner Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 am

So I thought I would get everyones thoughts on me running copper pipes for my coolant from the engine to the radiator. I got this idea after seeing Bus Depot's stainless steel coolant pipes.
Thanks
Nick

allsierra123 Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 am

Corrosion?

danfromsyr Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:33 am

your biggest corrosion issue will be on the exterior where the copper touches 'other' metals from wet conditon electrolysis (more so with corrosive wet, salty environments)

but it would take a VERY LONG time to corrode thru and leak.

Biggest concern would be those who steal copper from houses, if they fond out it's under yet bus. .cut it out like a catalytic converter..

the Diesel vans had copper core rads, iron blocks and alum heads.
there are other bits of copper and brass in cooling systems (prolly mostly brass though, but copper washers)

Long as it's protected from metal to metal contact via Rubber rad hose there won't be any reaciotn to the engine or such.. many of the Subie guys have small waterlines made up in copper plumbing.. some of the Inline4 guys as well.

Dan

Volksaholic Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:44 am

What Dan says makes sense... radiators commonly used to be made from copper or brass... I think an aluminum core with plastic ends is more the norm today. I'm interested in hearing what Terry Kay may have to say on this subject, since he provides stainless lines and sounds like he's got a quite a bit of experience maintaining fleet vehicles. Stainless is still ideal choice, I'm sure, but copper may be a reasonable alternative.

vwlovr Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:53 am

danfromsyr wrote:
Biggest concern would be those who steal copper from houses, if they fond out it's under yet bus. .cut it out like a catalytic converter..

ha, no kidding. with the price of copper piping i'm surprised this would be that much cheaper :)

personally i wouldn't bother. the time it would take to make them would suck, and if you ever sold the van it might be a big turn off to the new buyer.

wcdennis Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:29 pm

This topic came up on the Yahoo SubaruVanagon group a couple of years ago. Many folks use copper to make the connection between the engine and the existing pipes--the KEP instructions recommend doing it this way. There was one person, who claimed to be an engineer, who was so opposed to using copper for this application that he started an ugly firestorm of opposition that went on for many posts. He claimed, without any backing facts, that over time heat and vibration would make copper brittle enough to crack like an egg shell. No one was buying it which made him more and more angry and insistent. This was so controversial, that to this day, the group Moderator will not allow the word "copper" in any post. :wink:

ultra_runner Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks for the advice I think I am going to try... For anyone who is intrested copper is alot cheaper than stainless I am thinking I should be able to do it under 100 bucks I also live in dry Arizona and so corrosion won't be as big of a problem.

PDXWesty Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:00 pm

In plumbing systems where copper pipe is burried or requires isolation from other metals, we specify three layers of PVC pipe wrap. You can buy it in various places. Wrap your lines with a couple layers of this stuf and it will protect it well.

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/pipe-wrap-tape/?gclid=CKDh7ZbeyZICFQWiggodzly7bw

mr_vanagon Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Why not just use rubber hose. Pretty sure it will cost less and I know it will go in quicker than bending Cu to fit. I recall one of the aviation guys saying that long runs of rubber hose are common on water cooler aircraft. Also recall that rubber hose is the preferred replacement for rotten power steering lines.

I think I saw a chart in the stickies with conversion data for using Napa brand hose in place of the stock stuff.