TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel tank felt?
ritchiet002 Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:21 pm

What do you all use? Could I use one of the the strips from the rear hatch luggage area? I have a few of those lying around that are in decent shape.

Stocknazi Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:33 am

i save all the felt from part buses i have had. most of the og felts are usually in ok shape. i wonder if the luggage area strips are made from the same stuff, only they are soaked in asphault type stuff?

DaveM Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 am

while I'd search out the farthest corner to replace with original pieces, a scrap of heavy wool blanket cut to the proper size works well.

The gas tank divider plate felts for trucks are the tough ones to find in original usable condition.

dms Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:30 am

I pull it out of whirlpool clothes dryers . , it's used in the drum seals :lol:
mid 60's ones are the nicest .

ritchiet002 Sat May 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Just found this looking for something else. How about using a "green scrubber"?

Z Sat May 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Those would probably work...Home Depot has a synthetic felt-type stuff in their weatherstripping section that works well. That's what I used, and have seen others here use it also.

joe cool Sat May 24, 2014 5:05 pm

A lot of things can replace OG gas tank straps. But David Mayes will never be replaced. It is good to remember that guy and the crazy lengths he went to keep his busses original. Sorry to hijack your thread.

ritchiet002 Sat May 24, 2014 6:03 pm

joe cool wrote: A lot of things can replace OG gas tank straps. But David Mayes will never be replaced. It is good to remember that guy and the crazy lengths he went to keep his busses original. Sorry to hijack your thread.

No hijack! I dug this thread out of the archives :D

Bruce Amacker Sun May 25, 2014 6:43 am

I used rubber roofing material, which is identical to inner tube rubber from tire tubes.

BulliBill Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 am

Yes, Dave Mayes was (excuse the pun) an amazing guy and friend. What devotion to originality he had! I hope his wife and son are doing well. His boy ought to be driving Buses by now...

As for felt, I have some old original pieces lying about, but on the restoration of my 1959 Double-Cab, I used the weatherstriping sold in roll form at Home Depot and Ace Hardware.

"Frost King" brand, part #S214/17. Grey in color and about the right thickness , I just cut the width to the correct width with sharp scissors and installed. Great stuff, worked well! I used it for both the gas tank hold-down straps and for the gas compartment divider wall felt strips, worked well!

Bill Bowman