TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: full power door conversion on a downward spiral!
[email protected] Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:27 pm

I started converting my doors to full power today. I had a set of power doors here so I was using that stuff, I also had a full harness etc.. so I proceeded to run the wires and I installed another fuse box (just cause I had it) and cleaned grounds etc...

The driver door motor was giving me fits though, It was just kinda hanging int the donor door I got but I just figured that it was like that because they were stripping the van and gave up and just sold me the compete door. What I finally realized is that it was hanging there because the regulator is wrong :( after messing with it for a couple of hours to no avail, I chucked it across the shop, Of course I should have taken the motor OFF before chucking as it screwed the motor up! :oops: It was not working real well anyway so good riddance!

I guess I'll be turning the cranks for a little while longer.

Question is, I would imagine (at least hope) that the window motor is fairly universal to VW/audi? If so I could eaisly yank one at the pick in pull. That would at least save me a little cash.

Other question is, are these somewhat universal regulator/motors that I see listed for the v-gons worth a shit. It states mods need to be made with door speakers, anyone know what that entials if I have to go that route?

Looks like all is well with the pass side assembly. Luckily I did not install that side yet, I do have the rubbers off and windows out right now though as I installed the "L" non vent windows and am upgrading to Black weather strip ( no-mo chrome yea!!!)

Gotta fix the wires coming off the mirrors I have already had installed(The were cut) or paint my other setd and use them to get them working, And I am debating if I should bother with the stock door locks, I might just utilize the wiring and install one of these keyless entry universal set-ups or something, but the wires are run and live! And Those crazy Germans in Hannover must have had long skinny hands to install all this stuff!

16CVs Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Did you compare the regulators left to right ? They mske sn sftermarket regulator which looks totally different and you swear it would not work but does go in after some monkeying around.
When you installed the fixed vents, did your old doors have chrome in the openings or were they standard with no chrome trim.
If you vent assm"s are non chrome units and in good shape I would be interested in buying them.

Stacy

[email protected] Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 pm

stacy, its was kinda weird the regulator and all are actually right, just the bottom side was in the wrong position coming out of the motor/pulley assembly. It would not give enough room at the bottom of the door. I looked at the other side and saw the difference.

I took the regulator apart and tried to move the plastic outlet to the other correct position to no avail as the cable was then too tight to make the move. I tried modifying the cable, first attempt I made it too loose 2nd attempt I got it, BUT then I could not get a full movement anymore. It sucks but the only good thing is that the whole assembly was already trashed, I had to modify the sash mount as it was broken etc... so at least I did not bugger a good one.

My windows were chrome trim, I traded some blacked out ones for the fixed vents. I MIGHT have another black set though that will appear in the classifieds soon that I just got a couple of days ago though as I gotta pay for a regulator :oops: