TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Getting loaded part 2: too much fuel.
ProvoCyclist Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:32 am

85 Vanagon, Digijet, single throttle switch.
So a problem i thought had gone away has come back.
It feels like the motor is getting way too much fuel (evidenced by bogging down at freeway speeds and sooty black clouds from the exhaust), but when i blip the throttle, it goes away for a short time, then its back.
I spent about 4 hours last night replacing vacuum lines, checking/adjusting the throttle switch and timing. Everythings up to snuff, so far as i can tell. The only 2 things that could affect how the motor runs that much is the temp2 and the O2 sensors, both of which are ~30k miles old.
This is getting frustrating, because the problem goes and comes, theres no pattern to it. :x

Dogpilot Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 am

Check you fuel pressure regulator. Mine failed like that, then would not run at all.

FNGRUVN Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 am

You might want to check the spark plugs to see if only one cylinder is being effected such as a bad fuel injector.

ProvoCyclist Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Well dudes, i'm a moron in assuming the O2 was still good. Before i left work today, i disconnected the O2 wire, and she ran like a champ. Apparently, the sensor doesnt like getting a bath in coolant (from changing the grenaded clutch a while back). My mileage was cut down some, but ill take that over a scary loss of power on the freeway anyday. So a big :oops: to me!