TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Metal Canvas Top Hoops on rear panel missing/broken fix?
amishman Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:28 pm

I posted a message over in body work forum but not so sure I will get a reply there so figured I would post here also and reference that link.

Has anyone here every fixed a broken or missing metal hoop that you find on your rear panel (15 of them) that hold your top down. The PO did a deal on mine with some funky pop rivet hasp deal and I want to get rid of them. Just not sure how the heck I can undo the weld on the metal plate and then get the good hoop plate and then reweld back on.

I think the Thing Shop has some screw on hoops. That may work. Anyone here use the screw on style to fix a broken on they had?

tj

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290380

Ron Domeck Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:56 pm

The Thing Shop has the orginal loops with the flat metal mounting

amishman Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Ron Domeck wrote: The Thing Shop has the orginal loops with the flat metal mounting

Yup, I emailed them like 2 years ago. They said they carry them. I have re-emailed them for part # to order by. Back then they said they had two kind. Screw on and weld on. My guess to stay stock I need weld on.

My question is, how to you remove the old ones? I do have a welder, never used, that I will practice on well in advance to learn. Before then though, I would like to start removing the old ones. Any body work folks here have recommendation on how to pop off old not damaging the metal around them.

Just curious the basic I guess. Ultimately, maybe I will need to seek a body shop to do but...

tj

amishman Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:15 pm

If I can somehow pop these old ones off, the whole plate, could I use something like this to adhear the new loops on?

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/adhesi...mpound.htm

This cold well stuff looks like strong adhesive. Since my welding skills are zilch, would something like this fly, or no.

tj

Ron Domeck Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:32 pm

I am taking off a set now that has the loops cut off and turn style American convertable pieces riveted on. Looks like there are 4 spot welds on each loop. Best to lightly grind on the flat sufface to find the spots, then center punch and drill the spot welds. If you drill to far and have a hole you may need to weld the hole and grind flat. The new pieces can be welded on the ends or drill a 1/4 hole on both ends and plug weld the hole

amidemon Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Quote: Best to lightly grind on the flat surface to find the spots, then center punch and drill the spot welds.

If you use a spotweld bit such as a Rotobroach cutter, you'll be less likely
to have any holes to repair.
[/quote]