TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bathing your Thing. Were they water friendly in 73/74/75?
amishman Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:53 pm

So, how do you all bath your Thing?

I have never done it in the 3 years of ownership. Now that I have her running, I need to spruce up a bit.

Reason I ask is these things are not water tight. I wonder if when new off the lot in 1973, if they were????? Anyone buy one in 73/74/75 and could tell us what it was like driving a brand new Thing off the lot? Could it handle a rain storm and not get rain inside?

Mine has the bent top frame syndrome so huge gap between it and doors. Aged rubber all the way around that needs attention.

Do you just remove anything inside that should not get wet and have at it, trying not to do direct spray in gappy areas? Maybe stick a towel or a dozen in gaps to keep sprays out.

Any tips would be cool.

tj

lukesky Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:01 pm

I usually either hand wash at home or use manual at the carwash with no major difficulty. They're pretty sturdy and all metal or plastic, so just be sure to dry inside and out. I even wash it with the top down when I need to.

The biggest problem I've had with rain is that the windshield fogs up and the defroster isn't the greatest. I've got a '74, so the defrost is driven by the engine fan. Until last weekend the hoses were missing, so there was no defrost other than the towel I keep with me.

If any water does get inside, make sure you dry under any rugs, mats, duckboards, etc. or they will trap water and your battle against rust will be harder.

Good luck and congrats! It's always good to have another one out on the road again. The Thing would rather be outside and rolling!

181freak Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:00 pm

i usually wash it with top down or windows out.. its just water..

but make sure after you dry the outsdide whatever... take it for a spin.. to get excess water out..

and pull out the mats before washing or after so they dont hold moisture...

i often put towels in airvents in the enine bay .. helps a bit.. but not a bunch..

your thing will tahnks you for the bath.. esp if its been a long time..