TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: curtain to top gap
oasis Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:25 am

I am anxious to buy a Thing but it seems a new question pops each day showing me how much I still need to learn.

I was looking at some pics of a Thing that is only a couple states away and there is a gap between the top and the side curtains when they are installed. The top and curtains seem to be in very good condition -- no cloudiness, no tears or separation within the canvas.

What would cause this gap, though? Should I be suspicious of the bows? Is this correctable or do they need to be replaced?

Ian Epperson Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 am

It's quite common for the top frame to be bent over the top of the windows. The Thing Shop can refurbish a top frame and weld in reinforcements to the side rails to prevent it from happening again. Keep in mind that you'll have to replace the top when doing that; you can't save the material - so consider it a rebuild.

oasis Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:02 am

Ian Epperson wrote: It's quite common for the top frame to be bent over the top of the windows. The Thing Shop can refurbish a top frame and weld in reinforcements to the side rails to prevent it from happening again. Keep in mind that you'll have to replace the top when doing that; you can't save the material - so consider it a rebuild.
That is good to know when looking at prospects. Thank you very much.

amishman Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 am

Ian Epperson wrote: It's quite common for the top frame to be bent over the top of the windows. The Thing Shop can refurbish a top frame and weld in reinforcements to the side rails to prevent it from happening again. Keep in mind that you'll have to replace the top when doing that; you can't save the material - so consider it a rebuild.

I thought they at one time sold a kit for the end user to straighten the top?

Mine has same issue.

I will have to go check there site and see. That was like 2 to 3 years ago I thought I saw a reinforce kit they sold for the DIYer.

tj

Edit. Here is a link to the kit. Issue I guess is, the know-how on how to bend the top so you can then use these and as long as you have a welder, etc...

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181RK

oasis Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:33 am

Even if one had a welder (I don't), it looks like a new canvas will still be part of the rebuild. That's something to consider when shopping.