TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What are your favorite tires for 15" rims? Page: 1, 2  Next
88Mussbus Thu May 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Ok gang, I know, I know, but I can't get the info I want from the archives . . .

Planning on 15" rims and want an all terrain/all season tire that will last, will be great on dirt and snow and will be comfortable on the highway.

I've narrowed it down to these:

BFG AT/KO (very popular but my research shows not so good in snow)

Kumho Road Venture AT (good in snow but not long lasting)

Michelin LTX A/T (good in snow, long life)
Michelin LTX M/S (comfort, long life)

Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS (Great in snow, long life)
Nokian Vatiiva A/T

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051

Please let me know if you've been running any of these tires and how you like/dislike them.

Thank you so much for your time and thoughts!

MattVW Thu May 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Michelin Hydro Edge tires are supposed to be really good and long lasting. good traction. not sure about snow.

88Mussbus Thu May 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Thanks Matt for your input . . . anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks,
Craig

WestyBob Fri May 02, 2008 3:36 am

I haven't had experience with every available tire out there but I've been extremely happy for years with Nokians as a do-it-all. I also use BFG's and like them too, especially for back/off road. Both have worked for me for all seasons. The BFG's might be a tad bit louder but I usually have the radio on and can't hear anyway. The Nokians have helped me plow through the snow in the Sierra Nevadas in winter and really stick to the road, wet or dry.

Bob

cheekoman Fri May 02, 2008 6:29 am

I'm running the Michelin Hydroedge on 16" GW wheels and in rain the tires are okay. IN dry conditions on the highway they are amazing.

In snow, even a tiny bit..... they are completely useless. I mean seriously... HOLD ON! They are terrible.

I store my van and drive a beater in the winter otherwise I would get the Nokian's to run in the winter.

RGS Paul Fri May 02, 2008 7:08 am

What about the Pirelli Scorpion ATR? Has anyone had any experience with them on a Vanagon or not? They are available in the 215/75-15 size load rated C, that should be good on the Van, $106 at TireRack

Paul

kenmag Fri May 02, 2008 7:36 am

I'm running Nokian Hakkapeliitta SC 195/70R15 102S on Van-Cafe 15' SA steel wheels for the winter and I LOVE them! I believe they are 65psi max. Some even run them all year round. They where a god send this winter all that record breaking snow we had :shock:

Ken.

WestyBob Fri May 02, 2008 8:29 am

RGS Paul wrote: What about the Pirelli Scorpion ATR? Has anyone had any experience with them on a Vanagon or not? They are available in the 215/75-15 size load rated C, that should be good on the Van, $106 at TireRack Paul

I've never tried them. I know a guy who had them on his syncro and the only problem and surprise is they wore out very fast.

sc-surfer Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 am

BFG AT KO 215/75 R15s all the way. Not sure why you heard they were not good in snow. While it's true that they are not the *best* in snow, they are much better than any all weather tire, while still being great off-road, on the highway, and on the wallet.

I spent a lot of time in the Sierra this winter and on more than one occasion I had to cut tracks through the snow for several American 4x4s. The BFGs worked great.

I typically get 30-50k on mine and at just around $100 each have always been happy.

Just my $0.02

scobax Fri May 02, 2008 9:22 am

Quote: What about the Pirelli Scorpion ATR? Has anyone had any experience with them on a Vanagon or not? They are available in the 215/75-15 size load rated C, that should be good on the Van, $106 at TireRack Paul

Well, as it turns out, I am running these on the Westy Syncro right now. I've had them on there for almost two years, and about 10,000 miles. No obvious wear issues. I am very happy with these.

I would say that the westy is well over 5000 pounds 90% of the time that it's on the road, and off of the road. (I use an abandoned weigh station down the road every once and a while to keep track.)

I went through the agonizing decision process and found the Pirelli's to be in my estimation, a good all around tire. They have since met all of my expectations- I have driven on ice, packed snow, and deep drifting snow with good results, off road the do quite well considering the less aggressive tread pattern, and on highway they are quiet and comfortable. The load range and outside diameter was also important to me, and I have actually noticed no appriceable speedometer discrepancy at low speeds. Even though I do more off road driving than the "average" driver (not saying much), I opted for the Scorpion because the reality is, I am on paved roads the majority of the time, and I wanted a tire that wasn't going to punish me for that. I have never had the tires fail a challenge off road, and there have been a few.

The price was right, I bought five from Tire Rack with free delivery. I'll buy another set when the time comes.

88Mussbus Fri May 02, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks everybody for your input. Tirerack rates the Scorpions #1 in the A/T class, but the testimonials say they wear out quickly. Obviously depends on driving style, but they seem like a good choice if most of your time is spent on the highway.

Haven't heard from anyone about Michelin LTX A/T or M/T's, anyone have any experience with those or the Yokohamas or Kumho's.

Thanks,
Craig

indytriple Sat May 15, 2010 9:03 pm

I've run the 16" Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on a Mitsubishi Montero Sport for almost ten years now. I'm on the second set, with over 150,000 miles using these tires. The Mitsu is definitely a lighter vehicle, but I drive it hard and heavily loaded most of the time with camping gear, cargo box, bikes and people. The tires have also seen lots of miles on dirt and gravel roads. Lots of traction, but still smooth and quiet on the interstate.

There is no doubt that the 15" Pirelli's will be my tire of choice when I replace the crappy tires that the PO put on my van (soon I hope).

In my opine, they are also nice looking which is always a plus. They seem to also be a great mix of off-road capability and interstate smoothness.

Cheers!

targis58 Sat May 15, 2010 9:12 pm

I am looking for new tires for my 15" rims too.
How does nokian compare to bfg AT on off road use?

Zero419 Sun May 16, 2010 6:34 am

hydroedge does not meet the 100 load rating.

peaceful warrior Sun May 16, 2010 7:29 am

I have been running the Yokohama Geolander AT-S's (15x215xR75) for about 3 months now, and they have been great in the snow, even heavy snow. They are fairly quiet, I would say a bit less then BFG's (which I run on both of my Suburban's). Good handling in dirt and mud, which we have a lot of.
Cannot say for wear and how they are in the rain on the highway, since I have not done much highway driving with them and the obvious time factor.

Basically, I am pleased with them, and for my location they were $25 a tire cheaper then a comparable BFG. Since I bought five, and also put out for new 15" Steelies from OEVEEDUB (which is having a wheel sale presently), the tire price was helpful.

The one big noticeable difference is that the 2.1L has a heck of a time getting the Syncro up to highway speed. I think the next time, I may go with a slightly smaller diameter and width. Thankfully, I do not have to do much highway driving in it.

GardenSurfer Sun May 16, 2010 8:59 am

I have Michelin 215/75/15 LTX M/S on my Westy. Installed by the PO along with VC lift springs. Great ride and handling, even in high winds and and rain. Great highway tire, but sucks in snow and even the slighest amount of mud. My next set will be an all season tire, probably Nokian WRC.

Love My Westy Sun May 16, 2010 3:29 pm

It depends on what you are going to be doing with them. BFG's are the only tire to use in Baja and So. Utah where the rocks cut the crap out of your sidewalls. They aren't all that bad on snow or wet roads either. If you don't do rough backcountry roads, I would get a good highway tread and snow tires for winter. That way you won't have a wreck because you were driving on snow with the same tires you wore down by driving them year-round.

88Mussbus Sun May 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Been running Nokian WRC's from Van-Cafe for almost a year now and I absolutely love them and they look great with the rhein rims. Thank you all for your input!

aquaboxa Mon May 17, 2010 5:13 am

I too run the WRC's and love em!

dobryan Mon May 17, 2010 6:00 am

'88Mussbus wrote: Been running Nokian WRC's from Van-Cafe for almost a year now and I absolutely love them and they look great with the rhein rims. Thank you all for your input!

Exactly the same here. :D