TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: has anyone put together a rock n' roll bed in their Vanagon
Dennis Perusse Sun May 04, 2008 6:07 pm

hello folks,

Okay here is my situation. I am in the process of restoring my 1981 California emissions air-cooled Vanagon and one thing that I really desired to have is a Rock n Roll bed installed as I am converting my Vanagon into a partial camper. Now having said that I ordered the Rock N Roll hinges from Bus Depot and waiting eagerly to crack away at building this. Once I saw from the directions, or lack thereof in this case in terms of concrete measurements, my heart sunk. Where I am not as good in math and a lefty as well so tool use can get funny at best I knew that this project was going to get difficult. I did not realize how difficult until now.
So my questions are as follows and yes I have done a search not only on this site but Just Kampers forums as well. What are the dimensions of the back, bottom, and side rails for doing a full size version of the bed in English measurement? The JK forums some posters there have posted them in metric but they are for the Bay window and I am not sure if those same measurements apply to a T25/T3 version of our busses. I do realize that the side rails are going to be hit or miss due to the different types of flooring that people do use as well as the heights of sub-flooring. I am also trying to figure out which order stuff gets built first. I have tried to do this twice with varying degrees of complete failure so having a plan of action is better than continuing to do it wrong in the first place. I would be shocked if no one has ever done this before to their own Vanagons on this forum, who are doing something similar to theirs as I am to mine, so any help here would truly be appreciated.

If no one has actually done this would anyone have an objection to me actually doing a how-to on this and this forum put it as a sticky? Again I have to say that those hinges are wonderful, feel strong and look durable. But damn, those initial directions blow in every possible way. :-( I do understand why they (just kampers) do that since it can be used for both bays and vanagons but if you are a tool goober like I am and not that handy in wood some measurements should have been given for both types in both three quarter as well as full sized version of the bed.

Thanks to all on this forum;

Dennis

berge13 Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Hello, I know it's been since May on your post. First, you assume everyone knows what the GOWESTY brackets are/look like. A picture would help tremendously. Second, what other things are you going to be putting in your conversion? Side cabinet, Fridge Opening?
here ya go...
With wood, figure out the dimensions of your bed, get your wood, (2) pieces for the patform/seat. When marking the measurements subtract about 1/8 - 1/4 inch all around, including the center pieces where the seat back and seat bottom butt. Make your initial cuts. If your old seat is out, make sure of where you are putting the brackets, evidently there are plenty of bolt holes... Once you know where you are putting the brackets, given your other modifications or lack thereof, you can mark the areas in the wood where you will drill the bolt openings. Once you cover the wood with foam, fabric, etc. It is important to identify where those openings for the bolts are located. Install the brackets first, then install the back seat section and lastly, the seating section...
I admit that I have never done this myself, however, it seems like a logical sequence of operations to end up with your rock-n-roll bed.
If you can, post a picture of the brackets from GOWESTY... Check the following thread, there are a couple pics from FAIRWEATHER, showing his very crafty efforts...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301201&start=0
Cheers and good luck Dennis
Berge

Dennis Perusse Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:15 am

hello,

Actually thank you for the reply. I've completely forgot that I posted that thread so it's nice to see that it got replied by somebody on the list. It took me a while to do but I finished it up in June and began writing up a how to on putting it together. It took me about four times to get it right but I'm happy for the results and can't complain on how it looks. Since I've been very busy at home with stuff the how-to is on the back burner right now. When all the stuff that has to be done gets finished around the house and I get started again writing it I'll post the whole thing with pics and hopefully that will get people in a better direction than when I started. :-)

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it greatly. :-)

berge13 Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:50 am

Dennis, can you give me a bit of understanding of the process, just a thumbnail... I am getting ready to do the same thing on my vanagon....
Thanks,
Berge