TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Starts...then it doesn't
beccom Sun May 04, 2008 11:40 pm

Hello to all and thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Recently acquire my 1971 THING. The issue that I am having is the following:

I can start the car usually on first attempt. I let it run for a bit. Then I turn it off. Then I go to start it again within 20 seconds of turning it off and the car does not turn over. I hear a CLICK like it wants to start but it wont turn over. So I have to attempt it several times for the car to finally turn over and startup. Once it turns over....it starts right up. But again...I turn it off and try to start it again....the same thing...CLICK but no turn over.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

carterzest Mon May 05, 2008 4:27 am

Grounds and possibly battery cables and terminals. I have an optima gel cell and since cleaning all my grounds and fuse box terminals, I can't not get my thing to start. I leave my stereo on for hours, jump other cars and just cannot get that battery to run down! Highly recommended -Pricey, but priceless.
Carterzest

beccom Mon May 05, 2008 8:48 am

The battery in the car is pretty new. Any other suggestions?

colorider181 Mon May 05, 2008 9:11 am

I think like he said, clean ALL the grounds and terminals and replace any damaged wires. These are 30+ year old wires and they can't maintain the same current as they used to, some people use starter relays for this reason.

Michael B Mon May 05, 2008 9:52 am

Another cause of a "No Crank" condition is a bad starter solenoid. The starter solenoid needs good clean electrical connections.

beccom Mon May 05, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks everyone for their responses.....

How can I clean the starter Solenoid? Can it be replaced or is that generally inside the starter?

Thanks again

Chris

Michael B Mon May 05, 2008 10:53 am

beccom wrote: Thanks everyone for their responses.....

How can I clean the starter Solenoid? Can it be replaced or is that generally inside the starter?

Thanks again

Chris

Try reading this information and go from there.

Good luck!
Michael

http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm

beccom Mon May 05, 2008 11:20 am

Awesome document and site. Thanks....I will check that for sure.

Thanks again

Chris

stevehenderson Mon May 05, 2008 1:38 pm

This has repaired a couple of intermittent solenoid problems for me.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/solenoid_repair/

74 Thing Mon May 05, 2008 7:17 pm

Check your battery and ground strap on the battery and from the tranny to the frame horn. If those are clean and grounded to clean bare metal then tap the solenoid on the side with a small hammer or long bar and a hammer.

beccom Wed May 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Just wanted to thanks everyone for their assistance. I love this forum.

I ended up replacing the ground cable, Positive cable from the battery to the starter and replaced the battery.

Now it turns over every single time.

Thanks again to everyone.

carterzest Thu May 08, 2008 11:44 am

Seems like overkill sometimes, but just goes to show you how simple and wonderful Things and ACVW's are! Congrats and enjoy :lol: