TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brake Squeal...
lowsquare Mon May 05, 2008 8:57 pm

I have disc brakes at all 4 corners. They only squeal (fronts) when the weather is warm...what gives? All winter not a sound, now that the weather is warming they squeal constantly. I went to replace the pads on the weekend and found they look perfectly fine, tons of pad left. When I drive in the morning while it's still cool...not a sound...but from noon on they drive me nuts. Someone said they may be glazed? Woundn't they make a noise no matter what the outside air temp. was if that was the case? I had another suggestion to spray WD-40 on them...that guy I just punched in the neck. :twisted: Short of replacing...any suggestions?

Ian Epperson Tue May 06, 2008 8:08 am

I'd once heard a trick to slightly bevel the front edge of new brake pads to prevent them from chattering. Never done it, never had a problem, but it seems easy enough to try.

Perhaps use a brake cleaner on the rotors when you swap out the brake shoes?

dan macmillan Wed May 07, 2008 7:54 am

Ian Epperson wrote: I'd once heard a trick to slightly bevel the front edge of new brake pads to prevent them from chattering. Never done it, never had a problem, but it seems easy enough to try.

Perhaps use a brake cleaner on the rotors when you swap out the brake shoes?

Bevelling the leadind edges does help. The actual cause is vibration caused by the perpendicular edge of the pad against the rotor,and the pad rubbing on the metal contact points

lubricate,with neverseize, all metal to metal contact points on the pads and calipers, lube the pins the pads/calipers ride on. apply a product such as kleenflo disk brake quiet to the metal pad backing plate where it contacts the caliper and piston.

For very stubborn squeels spray kleenflo brake-in lightly on the rotor and pad braking surface.

http://www.kleenflo.com/en/index.htm