TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rear hatch stuck shut!
yellowvan Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 am

I have unlocked, opened, and closed the rear hatch to my van a million times, but the other day, it shut, and has stayed shut. My key will turn in the lock, and I can press in, but it does not "pop". Anyone have a good idea on how to get the door open so I can take the lock apart? Thanks.

hiram6 Sun May 18, 2008 10:33 am

You can get to the back of the lock/latch mechanism by removing the inside panel. With a Bentyley handy, you'll able to figure out how to get it open, and then to repair whatever stopped working.

vwlovr Sun May 18, 2008 11:43 am

you could also try pushing the key/button in at different positions. when i got mine it would only open if i had the key at a 2 o'clock position.

jjgray Sun May 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Have had exactly the same problem on mine several times. Aggravating.

Do you have power locks?

As vwlovr mentioned, 90% of the time it would open when I turned the key to 2 o'clock and pushed in. But the last time it didn't.

What ended up working for me this last time was simply turning the hatch lock to the horizontal position and locking and unlocking the whole works from the passenger or driver door a couple of times in a row. Don't know why it worked, but it did. Probably something in need of lubricant (I just don't want to remove that panel).

If you don't have power locks, or if that doesn't work, then I guess you now know what you need to do next.

Malleabis Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:36 pm

you guys just saved me sooo much trouble! my hatch got stuck and no matter what position i turned the key it wouldn't pop out. i have power locks so after locking and unlocking a couple times it came open!

pushkick Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:49 pm

dont you have the manual lock unlock inside the panel door? if you do all you have to do is push or pull the lever and it should unlock.

meyervw Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:58 pm

If you have electric locks put the key in the passengers door and hold in the unlock position for 5 seconds. This will unlock the whole van.

sbclayton Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 pm

It's a good idea to go ahead and remove the back panel and smear a little lithium grease on all the sliding parts of the lock. I have power locks, and the "rear hatch stuck shut" syndrome happens to me every time I have gone a year or so without lubing the mechanism.

Come to think of it, I never did open up the lock solenoid and lube it. Next on my list.....