TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What type of exhaust Page: 1, 2  Next
mrafindley Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 am

This post should have read: I am too damn lazy to use the search button on this site I am sorry for anyone who waised their time to use the search button for me. Very sorry guys don't know what I was thinking

Fun 181 Sun May 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Good luck trying to find a performance muffler that isn't loud. And from my limited experience, good exhaust systems don't come cheap.

Here is what I found using the good 'ol search button :lol: ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243320&highlight=exhaust

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283914&highlight=exhaust

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274508&highlight=exhaust

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259382&highlight=exhaust

Hope this helps.

I'll try and PM bljones to see if we can start an exhaust sticky as it is a frequently asked about topic.

Fun 181 Sun May 18, 2008 2:40 pm

This is the exhaust I went with...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=182538

Found in the Samba classifieds.

The ceramic coating helps, but it isn't flawless as far as rust goes. Note that this set up looks great and performs well, but it is LOUD as hell! Like Harley loud.

Last year at a show I met a fellow Thing owner with a brand new stock Thing exhaust that was ceramic coated. Unfortunately, I forgot where he said he got it from.

Fun 181 Sun May 18, 2008 3:57 pm

O.K. I knew I remember seeing a stock ceramic-coated muffler in this forum before!

Klokard has one installed on his Thing. I thought this muffler would be quiet, but apparently it's pretty noisy.

Here is the thread...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2245605&highlight=#2245605

Fun 181 Sun May 18, 2008 8:44 pm

mrafindley wrote: This post should have read: I am too damn lazy to use the search button on this site I am sorry for anyone who waised their time to use the search button for me. Very sorry guys don't know what I was thinking

Don't sweat it dude. Like I said, it's a hot topic.

mrafindley Sun May 18, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks alot man some times I just get wrapped up in things and forget to search first. I am in the middle of cutting the front off my beetle and welding a new one in place while kiefernet is redoing my carb for the thing. Well he sent me a pm that said my baby is on the way back so I figured I would start looking for an exhaust system so I just switched from the beetle forums to this one and asked the question my bad

mattt Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 pm

If you like the S&S system, I have a new one for sale in the classifieds......shameless plug alert off....... :lol:

mrafindley Wed May 21, 2008 5:55 am

:lol:

[email protected] Wed May 21, 2008 11:12 am

I was at a bug show over the weekend and saw a thing with the sidewinder exhaust on it it looked great and sat up nice and high

Rev. Scott Mon May 26, 2008 6:26 pm

anybody notice the exhaust on the thing in the hot v-dubs article on brakes?
thats what i want!!!

mrafindley Mon May 26, 2008 6:28 pm

scan it and post a pic I can't get the magazine here not even in wal mart

vwmartinez Tue May 27, 2008 5:27 am

The one in the new hot vw's magazine is the S&S exhaust system. I just put one one on my Thing and love the way it looks and sounds. Nice sound but not to loud.

dasding Tue May 27, 2008 10:24 am

Does the S&S system stick out past the bumper? How about valve adjustments? I would think it's pretty tight to get the valve covers off.

howiesfamily Tue May 27, 2008 6:21 pm

That's what I have on mine right now. It does stick out from under the bumper about 2 inches in the center. I burned my leg on mine the first day I had the thing. Adjusting valves isn't to terribly bad. What I don't like about it is the mufflers are mostly supported by a bar that fits over one of the front exhaust studs. Every time you hit a bump or pothole it puts strain on that bolt. I had to put in a helicoil and replace one of the bolts a few months ago. I'm going to keep it on until I can save up the dough for the ceramic coated Tri-Mil system from ISP.

dasding Wed May 28, 2008 8:57 am

I do like the tri-mill system, but the noise factor is what I raise my eyebrow at. Quite is a good thing from my perspective and the type 1 makes enough noise on it's own without adding a throaty exhaust system.

howiesfamily Wed May 28, 2008 10:49 am

What?! You're going to believe someone who actually has it installed on their car over a company that has a picture of it in their catalog?! Mid-America Motor Works ad says that it is "quiet".

Here's a pic of how far my exhaust sticks out from the bumper.

dasding Thu May 29, 2008 8:49 am

What I meant was that I like the prospect of the quieter S&S system, but really like the way the trimil system fits in place (similar to stock), that it doesn't obstruct the valve covers, and now, to your point, doesn't put stress on a exhaust studs like the s&s. :D

mattt Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 am

There are other ways around the supposed problem with the S&S. You can support the system in a way similar to how the no longer available GMW system was done. The GMW system was a copy and improvement on the S&S.
I had an S&S system on my Thing for many years and never had a problem with it pulling the exhaust studs out of the head. I had other problems, but they were most likely from driving the car off road. The S&S is a good sounding system on a Thing.

howiesfamily Thu May 29, 2008 11:23 am

I like the way it sounds. At idle, you can barely hear it running. When I accelerate it has a nice mellow tone. Not really loud, but it doesn't sound like a Beetle with peashooters either. My biggest complaint is that everytime I hit a bump the tailpipe clangs around in the bumper. I guess I could fab up some type of hanger for the muffler to keep this from happening. As it is, the only support is attached to the front exhaust stud so the muffler kinda bounces. If I can cure that and keep the dang J-tube connection from blowing out donuts I'll keep it. I can live with the 2 inches sticking out from the bumper.

mattt Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 pm

howiesfamily wrote: I like the way it sounds. At idle, you can barely hear it running. When I accelerate it has a nice mellow tone. Not really loud, but it doesn't sound like a Beetle with peashooters either. My biggest complaint is that everytime I hit a bump the tailpipe clangs around in the bumper. I guess I could fab up some type of hanger for the muffler to keep this from happening. As it is, the only support is attached to the front exhaust stud so the muffler kinda bounces. If I can cure that and keep the dang J-tube connection from blowing out donuts I'll keep it. I can live with the 2 inches sticking out from the bumper.

I've had those same problems and here is how I took care of them. For the clanging tubes going thru the bumper, you can add some rubber insulation or trim around the holes in the bumper. Quieted mine down a lot. Or, get a different rear bumper.....what I did. The original tubes going thru the bumper were not as large a diameter as the S&S tubes so there was more clearance. You can also add some additional bracing from the mufflers to the W pipe to stiffen everything up. Also, I don't know what kind of clamp you have at the muffler to W pipe connection, but after I put T clamps on mine it tightened everything up a lot! G. Mondshine sent me a drawing of how he tightened and quieted his up with addtional bracing.

For the J tube to header connection, that is a cheap and easy fix. Look at the pics in my ad for the S&S system. I had that connection changed to a 2 bolt flange connection w/ gasket. No more problems. The flanges can be had from any VW show for $2 each or there-abouts. If you can weld, it's an easy job, or head down to your local welding or muffler shop. They should be able to whip it out in 1/2 hour.