TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '57 DD Panel Drive Out Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
kombisutra Tue May 20, 2008 1:35 am

Coming back home tomorrow to bring this old dude a new lease on life. Driving deep into the back woods of Armstrong Woods Wednesday with the '66 Kombi, loaded with tools, food, generator, 36 motor, generous brake parts and planning on camping, wrenching, and driving it out, where it's been parked now for 20 years, on the drums, in the dirt. Mission accomplishment will be pulling into Christopher Moore's a hundred miles away in Willits... within 48 hours. This is what it looked like before I "established base camp" We had a long talk, and the Panel says he's ready to go.

Um, they stored stuff in it... lots of stuff too. Um, don't touch my AFX Track LOL! Oh, and just for you Blackcatface: notice the cool Eveready "D" battery with your likeness, on it on what is supposed to be the cargo floor...

Likely the best image,

as the other's reveal stuff like this...

But no matter, this cool old Panel still plays a banjo better than most buses...

and can drink most of em' clean under the work bench (over 40 Budweiser cans)...

Seems this one had an engine failure once too... imagine that?

Generator and vacuume cleaner gave me this... I was rather amazed...

after 10 wheel barrows full of garbage, 6 lbs of rat shit and one complete outboard motor... (thumbs-up comedy stolen from Kris and Paul in Salt Lake:lol:)

Don't remove OG Ambulance Fans with a pair of dykes... :shock:

Here's one for Spookymoulder... creepy crawly things in the night... found the scorpion climbing the wheels under the tranny cradle :o

And for the real slimy bastards out there... here... have a gross quarter-pound slug on top of this split-case trans... :twisted:

Here's one for Lind... better than a 57 Chevy?... well... depends on how much rust it's got...LOL... what month is this thing again???

and it's just up the road... and into the woods... I'll post pics again after the mission, and Bugarama (where I might actually drive it... depends how the old dude is feeling... hey, he might be a little shy... I'll tell him about the big butts on all those sexy Bay Windows LOL).

Hope the dudes from Deliverance don't get me... :lol: Looks like I'm doing this one alone... like usual...

xavi_242 Tue May 20, 2008 1:54 am

nice rescue!

big bus mike Tue May 20, 2008 1:57 am

(insert dueling banjos song here)

Another camp-there-until-you-drive-it-out bus rescue by Kombisutra...

Pretty soon you'll be welding on site too.

obus Tue May 20, 2008 4:33 am

i am itchy now. thanks a lot!

keep the pictures with the progress coming!

GMbuba Tue May 20, 2008 4:46 am

Wow, fixing it on sight 8)

kombisutra Tue May 20, 2008 4:59 am

big bus mike wrote: (insert dueling banjos song here)

Ok, here, for those that ain't seen it yet... a cultural lesson, with some famous and not so famous actors... and BANJOS! Yee Haw!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE

NorCalWeekender Tue May 20, 2008 7:15 am

Dang, Brian! I didn't realise you were that close to extraction. :D Awesome! Can't wait to see more progress.

davebuckholts Tue May 20, 2008 7:37 am

Great rescue/recovery! That is bad ass!

powellscooter Tue May 20, 2008 7:44 am

Great post/pics. Full report when you get it out right?

///Mink Tue May 20, 2008 7:45 am

Hell, yes! Let's see that thing at the Bugorama Sunday!

(BTW, how are you getting both busses out of the woods, Brian?)

campingbox Tue May 20, 2008 7:56 am

big bus mike wrote:

Pretty soon you'll be welding on site too.

He was talking about that last week.....

Get it out of there Brian, good luck!

hugheseum Tue May 20, 2008 8:05 am

nice little mission,very cool,reminds me of shit i was doing in the 90s,everything the hard way and not caring that it was the hardway,the hunts are often the best part of this hobby,nowadays im too busy for a mission like that and i have a car hauler,have fun out there

suebug Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 am

Kombisutra, you're a natural-born storyteller with a heart of gold. Can't wait for more of the travelogue. (tipping hat with bowed-down head)

Hey, bring it to OCTO!

66busman Tue May 20, 2008 8:23 am

The suspense at the end is killing me!

Great find, and great rescue, man.

kombisutra Tue May 20, 2008 8:24 am

///Mink wrote: Hell, yes! Let's see that thing at the Bugorama Sunday!

(BTW, how are you getting both busses out of the woods, Brian?)

Good question... ain't figured that one out yet. I've got a banjo playin' buddy up there who'll watch the sexy Kombi while I'm doing roadside repairs up to Willits...

Just because I know you want to see it Tom, I WILL drive it to Bugarama... at ANY cost. I'll try and get it wired up to something approaching your standards... well, let's just say I'll try :lol: It's got very good original wiring.

crofty Tue May 20, 2008 8:32 am

Damn, Good job.

F that scorpion crap though... I hate bugs.

Riff Raff Tue May 20, 2008 9:54 am

Buddy, you are truly an inspiration!

Not only are all your posts so optimistic, (such a welcome change from the crushing negativity that sometimes invades threads), but you keep pulling off these outrageous search and rescue missions.
I know I speak for others out there when I express my gratitude for keeping me grinning when I read your contributions.

Keep up the good ju ju!!

SkooobaSteve Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 am

I wanna know how in the world you found that one hidden way back like that someone had to of told you about it.

crofty Tue May 20, 2008 10:53 am

YOUBUGME2 wrote: I wanna know how in the world you found that one hidden way back like that someone had to of told you about it.

You'd be suprised the places a stock height bus can go!

Ian Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 am

The smaller the scorpion the more poisonous, or so I'm told.

I don't care to find out.

Can't wait to see where this goes!